587,213 active members*
3,547 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > FineLine Automation > Air Cooled Spindle what Hp for the Saturn 2 4x4 ?
Page 7 of 12 56789

Re: Air Cooled Spindle what Hp for the Saturn 2 4x4 ?

Well the cable is ordered from Automation Direct. I am sure all the people who have ordered the spec'd VFD cable from them are happy with their purchase, otherwise we would see complaints posted all over the internet. Like I said earlier.... the cable flexes in use. The more its used the more its going to stress the conductors and the shielding... when it wears out I will replace. Pretty simple.

Ordered the spindle yesterday, it will be here today. I have ordered from John and company for years > https://www.automationtechnologiesin...lling-spindle/
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

ericks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Well the cable is ordered from Automation Direct. I am sure all the people who have ordered the spec'd VFD cable from them are happy with their purchase, otherwise we would see complaints posted all over the internet. Like I said earlier.... the cable flexes in use. The more its used the more its going to stress the conductors and the shielding... when it wears out I will replace. Pretty simple.

Ordered the spindle yesterday, it will be here today. I have ordered from John and company for years > https://www.automationtechnologiesin...lling-spindle/
    Nice.....

You mean top right or left side you never leave an opening in the top of an enclosure. Prime place for water or other liquids, not to mention metal or wood dust entry. Filters always needed on the air intake openings.
    Depends on the installation some are on the sides and back some are out the top there is not normally a problem for stuff getting in a the cabinet, the air pressure should be positive in your cabinet so if you have correct filtration there should never be anything that can get past the filtration into the cabinet no matter where the air comes out, if your electrical cabinet was in a harsh environment then you would have deflectors on any of the outlets whether it was on the sides back or the top
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Depends on the installation some are on the sides and back some are out the top there is not normally a problem for stuff getting in a the cabinet, the air pressure should be positive in your cabinet so if you have correct filtration there should never be anything that can get past the filtration into the cabinet no matter where the air comes out, if your electrical cabinet was in a harsh environment then you would have deflectors on any of the outlets whether it was on the sides back or the top
    Hey, I have been doing this stuff in the real world since 1962. You never have any opening on the top of an enclosure unless its setting on top of your office desk. Positive air pressure (from a fan) will not keep out liquids. David has done his right, air filters on the intake. Air coming in should always exceed the dedicated outlet area so you have a positive air pressure in the cabinet.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

ericks Guest

Never a good idea to enter cables on top or on the side of a control panel.....i guess sometimes it can't be avoided but personally i never done it. Having a fan on top is a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    Never a good idea to enter cables on top or on the side of a control panel.....i guess sometimes it can't be avoided but personally i never done it. Having a fan on top is a bad idea.
    Yes sometimes it can't be avoided, but is common in the machine industry, Inside of a Haas control cabinet they have made thousands of these machines as have others, having fans on top is common practice, they even build cabinets that you can buy with the fans already built in
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Electrial Cabinet with fans-5.jpg   Air out through the top with defuser .jpg  
    Mactec54

Yes sometimes it can't be avoided, but is common in the machine industry, Inside of a Haas control cabinet they have made thousands of these machines as have others, having fans on top is common practice, they even build cabinets that you can buy with the fans already built in
    I think the guys were just saying they shouldn’t be exposed, all of those have covers and are similar to what I’m doing on my enclosure. I just didn’t have the space to have my exhaust on the side the way I laid mine out. I’m building a shield to cover the top ventilation on mine similar to what you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    I think the guys were just saying they shouldn’t be exposed, all of those have covers and are similar to what I’m doing on my enclosure. I just didn’t have the space to have my exhaust on the side the way I laid mine out. I’m building a shield to cover the top ventilation on mine similar to what you posted.
    That's what I posted in the first post about fan placement, I said they should have deflector to cover the fan outlet no matter where they are placed even on the sides they still should have a deflector this is normal practice
    Mactec54

That's what I posted in the first post about fan placement, I said they should have deflector to cover the fan outlet no matter where they are placed even on the sides they still should have a deflector this is normal practice
    Ahh, the way you posted it was the fan directly exiting air from the top of the cabinet. Those you posted you had to look far and wide for as those are ducted fans not deflectors. Those posted are not DIY material, more than likely cost more than most of us are spending for the entire control build! In the many Industrial plants I have worked in, not one like you posted was used.

Ok, back to enclosures, practical side. Where are you folks ordering and what sizes are you using for the VFD? My is Hitachi nearly 8 inches high but aside from a relay maybe and the disconnect C/B don't need a lot of room.

My enclosure houses everything and it's 20" wide x 24" tall x 8" deep. I think it's a good layout with room for everything and good air flow.

David
    David
    Romans 3:23
    Etsy shop opened 12/1/17 - CurlyWoodShop

Thanks David, after I posted I found the Link you had put in your other post. I am just needing an enclosure for the VFD so I think the 16x16x10 inch one will work. It was $98 with Free shipping.

Ahh, the way you posted it was the fan directly exiting air from the top of the cabinet. Those you posted you had to look far and wide for as those are ducted fans not deflectors. Those posted are not DIY material, more than likely cost more than most of us are spending for the entire build! In the many Industrial plants I have worked in, not one like you posted was used.
    The only looking I did was in a file I have on electrical cabinets, you don't have to buy a cabinet like this from the manufacture, this it is easy enough to do it yourself

That is why I said with using air deflectors some call them shrouds, the fans can be mounted any where, all the Hobby users should be using deflectors / shrouds of some kind, for the air out of there cabinets, which can be as simple as a louvered plate like snip

I make some of my own enclosures, and made a louver die just for doing the air out vents
    Mactec54

Ok, back to enclosures, practical side. Where are you folks ordering and what sizes are you using for the VFD? My is Hitachi nearly 8 inches high but aside from a relay maybe and the disconnect C/B don't need a lot of room.
    You need to check the Drives spec's they give you a guide on how much air gap you need around the drive, which is normally around 50mm or 2" all components need to have an air gap you need a Breaker and a Power filter to mount with the VFD Drive Hitachi have good layout diagrams in there manual here is one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFD Drive Mounting.PNG  
    Mactec54

The only looking I did was in a file I have on electrical cabinets, you don't have to buy a cabinet like this from the manufacture, this it is easy enough to do it yourself

That is why I said with using air deflectors some call them shrouds, the fans can be mounted any where, all the Hobby users should be using deflectors / shrouds of some kind, for the air out of there cabinets, which can be as simple as a louvered plate like snip

I make some of my own enclosures, and made a louver die just for doing the air out vents
    If I could find some Louvers online I would purchase. Good idea.
    Amazon has them > https://www.amazon.com/HOFFEN-Stainl...nt+cover&psc=1

My ordered enclosure is 16 x 16 by 10 inches deep it only has to hold the VFD and Circuit breaker. I have never used a incoming power filter on any VFD I have installed, never an issue. Perhaps its because I always used Hitachi or Toshiba.

I have never used a incoming power filter on any VFD I have installed, never an issue. Perhaps its because I always used Hitachi or Toshiba.
    FWIW, Hitachi recommends using one. I have enough problems with EMI in my house due to an inverter drive for my well pump, so I was hoping to minimize the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DDgitfiddle View Post
    FWIW, Hitachi recommends using one. I have enough problems with EMI in my house due to an inverter drive for my well pump, so I was hoping to minimize the problem.
    So does HY recommend one also? I have never used one and my shop is a ways from my house.

The manual shows an AC Reactor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HY Diagram.JPG  
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post

Okay. I screwed up. It says no electromagnetic contactor for the AC on/of switch. That's what I used. Guess I'm going shopping for a new switch. This looks like the one CNCRP uses: https://www.industrialcontroldirect....839igjvge99c45

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    For Power Factor Improvement....

Page 7 of 12 56789