587,998 active members*
1,874 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Need help in Indy.

I am the only one in my shop with prior exepireance. I need help. Some one to talk to.

What kind of business are you working in?

I am sorry I took so long to reply I have have been hunting. I work at American Fasteners in Avon, they have taken a lot of work over for Otis elevators. I am a good manual machinist. They bought a Haas vm3 and a saber cnc mill I read the books and learned g codes, is a lot different from manual machs. need help in feeds and speeds and someone that knows what they are talking about. At work when they see 2.1255 they say two point one two five five, I say two inches and one hundred twenty five and a have thousands and they have know idea what I am talking about.

Sorry i can not help you on that. My background is manual machine and grinders. Used to be involved with plastics manufacturing as well.
    JEB

2.1255 or 2 inches one hundred twenty-five and a half thousandths is the same thing when it comes down to the actual measurement. Some people just have a different way of communicating it.

The calculations for figuring your feeds and speeds are:
    Revolutions per minute X Chipload (inches per tooth) X the number of flutes

If you're working with a tool vendor (Kennametal, Iscar, Valenite, etc.) they should have specs for recommended RPM and Chipload for their cutters, and should provide them if you ask.

So if you had a four flute endmill that you wanted to run at 500 rpm, with a chipload of .010

500X.010X4=20ipm

Those calculations are going to vary by, tooling material (Carbide, HSS, coated/uncoated), material being cut, surface finish required, etc.

I would start by getting the data sheets from your vendor with their recommended specs and adjust up or down accordingly from there.

I can help you.

I have plenty of experience in cnc machining and programming. Been doing it for almost 20 years now. I specialize in exotic metals (titanium, cobalt, 400 series and duplex stainless, etc.) Where would you like to start?

I don't know where to start so many questions, last post said call tool rep., how do I do that without stepping on anybodies toes? How do I tell our QC guy that you can't tell me that I am .005 over 75.375 with a tape measure, or tell my boss a post it note is not a work order? WE drill a lot of holes in 1018 cold rolled and hot rolled, we have a lot of insert drills that I have know idea where to start with the feeds and speeds. I was trained on man. Mach. buy an old timer and can make one dead nuts for you, but I do not know fast production. They have a Haas vf3 and a Cincinnati Saber cnc mill.I read the books and started programing.

If you have a PC at work, take a look at AutoEditNC. It has a decent machinist calculator built in for doing feeds/speeds, trig, etc.

I still think your best bet would be to get a copy of the data sheets. If you're worried about stepping on someone's toes, have whoever does the purchasing of tooling ask for them. Explain that having the supplier's specifications will speed up the programming process by having accurate data to set your feeds and speeds with. I doubt that anyone would be offended by trying to speed up processing.

You can PM me if you would like a copy of AutoEdit.

Thank you codyst for AutoEditNC. I don't have a com. at work but I downloaded it at home and have been playing with it, wrote down some feeds and speeds to try tomorrow. I learned today why I should start numbering my lines I entered .33 instead of .35 on the 82nd hole, was hard to find to fix. Next question, when and why would I use g28?

G28 is used to return to reference position. I can't offer up a good explanation of when and why, because I never use it. When I do a home cycle, or return after a cutting block I always just use G90G53G00Z.

All I remember about G28 is that you had to switch to incremental at the end of your cutting block to retract Z. G91G28Z.... It's been so long since I had programming classes I can't remember the exact reasoning behind this either.

help for your programming

I'm originally from Indiana, I used to work in Plainfield. I grew up in Winchester. I'll be headed back for a visit during spring break (when the kids get out of school), maybe I can stop by for a day, and see if I can get you pointed in the right direction on your programming. If your company doesn't allow this, send me a copy of a print, I'll write a program for it, and you can to. This will allow you to see where the difference is, and if you have questions as to the how or why, I can answer them. [email protected]

I am back on line, had to buy a new com. old one took a dump. jjasshpley I talked to my boss yesterday and he said you can stop by and help me, but he can't pay you. Up to you but I don't want to take away from your vacation. Don't know how to send prints yet, I have Autodesk inventor 5, but I don't know what I am doing yet. If you send me a print we can do it that way. [email protected] Celisa is my wife I am Tony.

Im in need of a Mentor who is familiar with the Star 9 axis swiss lathe.

local will give help

Hey I live down here in Connersville Indiana and would have no problem helping you and awnsering your questions. I do alot of drilling with G98 and any other codes you would like. I am the lead programmer in a tool & die shop in cincinnati. Give me any question any time will not be a problem. Also I get into alot ALOT of 3d machining can help you with anything. I have older fanuc controllers and have programmed haas at my old job so just give me a hollar either here or you can get me at [email protected]

Just let me know what you need, by the way my name is Josh

Cool

Hi Josh, from what I can tell g98 initial point return when drilling will rapid z up every time and I only want it to rapid up to clear clamps like the W code on the Cincinnati. How is your weather today? I had 2 1/2 foot drift in my drive way when I got home tonight, had trouble getting in with the jeep.

Cold Cold Cold

Weather down here SUCKS. I drive alittle over 50 miles one way to work to Cincinnati took me over three hours. Here at the house we have SNOW LOTS OF SNOW down in Cincinnati they have ice everything is covered in ice a county over from me hasn't had electric since two o'clock tuesday still dont as of tonight. I have a new dodge ram and i had a hard time getting out of my drive to i had drifts even with the bottom of my window. Now back to the g98 is it going all the way up when you peck drill or what? see i use it when i peck drill i use a R0.100 in the line of code so when i peck it only comes up .1 then comes up 3.5 in z to do a G0 to the next XY location. So is it going up to your clearance plane everytime it pecks?

On the Haas, your R value will be the position you want Z to go to when it comes out of the hole before moving to the next position. Put a Q value in your drill cycle to peck. G98 Z-.100 R.100 Q.020 F100

As an example I do a G81 R.03 f100. Z-.75 and then 9 or so X and Y moves, than I need to move Z up to clear the clamps to move to the next part in the fixture and start over again. I don't use peck very often, I don't have many holes that are to deep.

Smile

No help on the G81? Did I do it wrong or what? My co. just bought a HASS VF6, it came from Milwaukee to Indy. Is going to cost another $9,000 to fix the spindle trans. I keep telling them 1 is a prototype 2 is a backup 3 is production and I don't do production, and if I can't hold it in my hand I don't want to f**k with it. They still don't believe me. They did get me a 10 year old laptop, after 2 days I was able to back up all the programs on the VF3. I am still trying to organize them.

I think that if you used something like this:
    G0 Z1.0 (or Z 12.0 if your clamps are a foot high)
    G81 R0.3 F10.0 Z-0.75 (it will rapid down from Z1.0 to Z0.3 and then begin feeding to Z-0.75)

It will then rapid back out of the hole to Z1.0 and then to your next X and Y where it will repeat the rapid down to feed. R is the rapid plane underneath which it feeds.

Set Z at whatever height you need to clear clamps. You could always use several G81 calls with rapids in between to jump your fixture. Just depends on how much time you are trying to save.

You also might try calling a tech school and see if you couldn't snag a programming class, even if you just audit it.

Page 1 of 2 12