587,624 active members*
3,372 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Epoxy Granite > CNC machine made out of granite

Hybrid View

Re: CNC machine made out of granite

Given the z-axis' plate width, what is the maximum travel along the width of the machine?
    granite surface plate is 900mm x 600mm Z axis plate with is 200mm so the travel is 700mm

Given the thickness of the gantry, 2 times rail and bearing thicknesses, thickness of the two aluminium spacer plates on the z-axis, and the radius of the spindle housing, what is the maximum machineable depth?
    i guess it will depend on the length of your endmill. Z axis travel is around 160mm

What is the clearance between the gantry and the surface plate?
    around 180mm.

Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by fox3d View Post
    Given the thickness of the gantry, 2 times rail and bearing thicknesses, thickness of the two aluminium spacer plates on the z-axis, and the radius of the spindle housing, what is the maximum machineable depth?
    i guess it will depend on the length of your endmill. Z axis travel is around 160mm
    I wasn't clear enough when I wrote that question. I was thinking of the depth along the y-axis. With gantry machines like yours there is usually some area in the back of the machine that the spindle can't reach. I guess if the gantry beam is 50mm thick and you use 20mm rails?(?) with a rail+block height of 30mm with two 16mm Alu plates the "lost" y-axis depth in the back is (50+2*20+2*16)mm=122mm. And that is before the spindle is attached.

If I were to build something similar but with a smaller surface plate I probably wouldn't be able to shrink that loss very much. I guess it is possible to offset the two side slabs of granite so that they stick out/overhang some cm towards the back. Do you think that would destroy rigidity and/or create a significant cracking risk on the side slabs?