587,840 active members*
3,521 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Spindle not working

Quote Originally Posted by FGS View Post
    It's working. I reset the VFD PD013 = 8. Then reprogrammed the VFD. plugged it in and it works. The only explanation I can think of that there must have been a surge or something that screwed up the settings. It had been working for almost a year without incident.
    When you said you plugged it in, plugging and unplugging could cause this problem if that is how you are using it, VFD Drives don't like to be unplugged to disconnect the power, and should never be used this way
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    When you said you plugged it in, plugging and unplugging could cause this problem if that is how you are using it, VFD Drives don't like to be unplugged to disconnect the power, and should never be used this way
    My VFD is plugged into my control enclosure. It comes on when I power up the box.

My VFD is plugged into my control enclosure. It comes on when I power up the box.
    You mean wired in, you would not normally have a VFD Drive plugged in to anything, or at least it should not be plugged in
    Mactec54

You mean wired in, you would not normally have a VFD Drive plugged in to anything, or at least it should not be plugged in
    I'm not sure what you mean. It's a 110V VFD that came with a plug attached to it. I set up my electronics enclosure with a Gecko G540 a Mean Well 48V PS 14 gauge THHN on the AC side and 16 gauge on the DC side. I installed a receptacle for the VFD to plug into. It's been working for a year without incident until 2 weeks ago. After reprogramming the VFD all's well.

I'm not sure what you mean. It's a 110V VFD that came with a plug attached to it. I set up my electronics enclosure with a Gecko G540 a Mean Well 48V PS 14 gauge THHN on the AC side and 16 gauge on the DC side. I installed a receptacle for the VFD to plug into. It's been working for a year without incident until 2 weeks ago. After reprogramming the VFD all's well.
    The wire you used would be questionable ( construction wire) you have to take installations like this seriously, you are dealing with industrial components and have to be wired to code requirements

Where did you buy a VFD Drive that already had the cable attached, this would not of been from the manufacture with a cable attached
    Mactec54

ericks Guest

Just to be clear, i am not saying de powering the drive when under load is good....all i am saying you should be able to do it under emergency situations without fearing damage to the drive.

ericks Guest

All of our machines have guarding/safety devices. The operators use these guards to stop the machines. Every time they do that(hundreds of times a day) the drives are de-powered on load. We have very few failures....if a drive can't handle the occasional power down under load then it's not worth having. When i first tested the cheap Sako drive i made a point of testing it numerous times to see if it could handle being powered down under load, no problem

I'm still having problems. It seems if I haven't used my CNC for a while the VFD loses the settings. So I'll reprogram it and see if that's the problem. I'm not sure what you mean by you shouldn't unplug and plug the VFD. Mine is wired into my control box and comes on when I turn on my control box, but how is that different than pulling the plug and switching it on and off?

I'm still having problems. It seems if I haven't used my CNC for a while the VFD loses the settings. So I'll reprogram it and see if that's the problem. I'm not sure what you mean by you shouldn't unplug and plug the VFD. Mine is wired into my control box and comes on when I turn on my control box, but how is that different than pulling the plug and switching it on and off?
    You need to post a photo of how you have it wired it does not sound like it has been done correctly when you put the Parameters in you can lock them in PD000=0 this will lock them in if your drive is not damaged
    Mactec54

Turning the power on and off to your VFD will not cause a problem. You should Never turn off the power going to the spindle motor when the VFD is powered up it will cause the VFD to fail. My guess the VFD is either programmed wrong or defective.

My drive is not Chinese maybe that makes a difference as it does not lose the programing.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Turning the power on and off to your VFD will not cause a problem. You should Never turn off the power going to the spindle motor when the VFD is powered up it will cause the VFD to fail. My guess the VFD is either programmed wrong or defective.

My drive is not Chinese maybe that makes a difference as it does not lose the programing.

It does not matter what VFD Drive it is they don't like being plugged in and unplugged and should never be installed like this

The problem is he is not turning the power off, he is unplugging it this by it's self is going to mess up the VFD or damage it, here is a snip from the VFD Drive manual
    Mactec54

I think I get what you mean and I think because of unplugging the VDF causes it to lose memory, thus my need to reprogram it. My VFD came with a normal plus that I had to wire to the R S and ground. I'm just a hobbyist and may not use my CNC for a month or more. To let the VFD be on for that length of time seems a bit much, but I guess that's what needs to happen. I'm trying to set up my Z axis with a Makita 11/4 hp trim router. I'll see if this works. I've installed it, having to a little grinding for clearance. I haven't used it yet and am somewhat concerned about the distance of the Z travel. Oh well, I'll keep persevering. Thanks for all the help.