588,508 active members*
4,902 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > PCB milling > Autoleveler not working

Hybrid View

Re: Autoleveler not working

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post

1) I don't know, it didn't with Mach3 and parallel port but I suspect it would happen with certain controllers and Mach3.
    2) The fault manifests itself when Autoleveller goes to produce corrected code. As I said above the PCB visualization feature of AutolevellerAE is useful
    but better still is a good Gcode simulation package. When it does fail it can be quite dramatic but in a very specific area of the board and even close visual
    inspection of the code it is not likely to show up....until your machine crashes!

Craig
    Thanks for the updates,
    So the problem is that Autoleveler might generates some spikes or valleys in the final g-code. And this would be visible in the 3D view of Autoleveler, correct?
    Secondly I did not understand why would extra points be generated in the log file when probing is being done at a predetermined number of points?

Re: Autoleveler not working

Hi,

So the problem is that Autoleveler might generates some spikes or valleys in the final g-code
    correct, but the peaks and valleys can be ten or hundreds of mm's. They'll crash your machine for sure.

And this would be visible in the 3D view of Autoleveler, correct?
    Incorrect, Autoleveller AE has a visualization of the PCB blank based on the probe data alone. It is useful, if the recorded data is screwy then the visualization
    will probably be also. The visualization does not show the corrected code just the PCB blank.

The only way to be sure about the corrected code is to use a Gcode simulator.

Secondly I did not understand why would extra points be generated in the log file when probing is being done at a predetermined number of points?
    Neither did I. I thought it may have been electrical noise or something. At the time I was working on a board that had 210 probe points but the probe data file
    would record 215-220 points. As it turns out the problem was a very subtle fault of the ESS probing routine. It was captured and analysed by another user on what
    seemed like an unrelated issue. As a result of the painstaking analysis Andy at Warp9 was able to capture the fault and devise a solution. Since that time (approx.
    one year ago) my machine has never recorded an unintentional extra data point. None the less the code I have written checks the number of data points to the
    number of probe points as specified by Autoleveller.

In addition it ensures that the recorded X,Y points are the same as the Autoleveller X,Y probe points. If there is a deviation of greater than 0.02 units (mm in my case)
    the macro will alert you. Should there be duplicate data points, as used to happen with the ESS, it will remove them and inform you that it has done so. If there are
    fewer data points the Autoleveller probe points it will alert you and stop, there can be no corrective action if data points are missing.

The code is open source so you can read it for yourself.

Craig