Quote Originally Posted by ledaero View Post
Really? That name has never come up in my research. 99% of Chinese laser and CNC machines come from Jinan, but Aeon is based in Jiangsu. That, in itself isn't a problem, because Jiangsu is noted for high-tech electronic assembly, but interesting that this company are 'the ones to go for' yet are outside the traditional laser production area.

Define your specs - what speed, power, size, of machine you want, then find a manufacturer. You've done it ass-about-face, in my opinion, by finding a manufacturer then choosing a machine they sell. There are a lot of good machinery makers in China. And don't forget, most of these guys are sheet-metal workers, they use off-the-shelf components to assemble their machines. They are all using the same components, or should be.

Look for some well-known and respected components and ensure your supplier is using them:

Leadshine for drivers and closed-loop steppers
Reci for tubes and PSU
HiWin for transport and bearings
Trocen for controllers

Just to name a few. Of course there are others, but those are known, good manufacturers.

You can fit a W8 tube in one, but it doesn't really make sense. You will need 130-150W (Reci W6) at a minimum to cut 15mm plywood in one pass.

You've read good things, but not from users? Who then?

And yes, plenty of scams and dishonest vendors. Just be aware of what you're getting. They want your money, most aren't interested in your second business. Support is less important than getting the cash.

After doing a search, nearly all the positive noise about Aeon is from resellers. Not yet read a single post from an owner.

Never a good sign.

If you are really going to be cutting 15mm ply and acrylic, there's a lot of options. You say you want the biggest machine you can get, but then are looking at a 6090, rather than a 1325.

US$15k gets you a lot of machine.

I recently got a few quotes for 1390 machines (1300 x 900) with a Reci W6 and they were all around the US$6k mark, delivered.

Make a questionnaire and send it to a dozen makers:

What is your maximum cutting size
Do you support pass-through
Do you support ethernet/wifi networking
What make/model of stepper driver
What make/model of stepper motor
What make of linear rail
What make/model of CO2 tube
What make/model of laser mirror/lens
What make/model of PSU
What make/model of controller
What make/model of chiller
Do you have interlocks on all openings
Do you have emergency stop

etc.

Think about your day in production and what you want to achieve and how the machine will support that and ask questions accordingly.

And be cautious of people recommending stuff they don't use themselves.

I'm researching buying 3-4 laser engraver/cutters right now. three smaller desktop size and a larger 1390 or 1325. As it represents a large capital investment, with a similar further investment in 12 months, if all goes well, I'm in no hurry to jump in bed with a specific manufacturer. I've sent out requests for information to half a dozen manufacturers. Two - well known and often talked about on here - have been given the thumbs down straight away because they have shown an inability to follow basic instructions or to answer questions fully.

Don't accept half-assed.

The leading vendor currently is one that is less well-known in the US, but well-known in Australia/New Zealand, which is where I will be based. He's not the cheapest, but is responsive and thorough, which makes me think the company is also responsive and thorough.

When I've made some bone-headed questions/demands, he's patiently explained why it isn't such a good idea - such as going for a higher-spec chiller with multiple outlets to service two machines. If it goes down, I will have two down machines, not one - doh!

The other thing he recommended that none of the other vendors did, was to get shipping insurance. At 4% of the shipped price with a $300 excess, it makes sense when you have $12k in the mix.

I will likely visit the factory before I place the order.

From a couple of decades of dealing with Chinese suppliers, I can give you a couple of pieces of advice: Don't tell them your budget - or your machine will magically come within your budget. Be specific about what you want - you want a honeycomb and knife table, auto-focus and pass-through, but the machine spec doesn't have it? Just ask. Tell them what you want, let them decide a solution.

And be specific about getting fully-detailed quotations including part specifications, warranty and support. If they can't or won't give you a full breakdown of the unit, walk away.
Above suggestions are really helpful for newbie, Great!