So for the DIY person, you're absolutely right, you can source your own machine, fumble through the export/import process, troubleshoot on the forums and get a free education in lasers and motion control systems all for a fraction of the cost.
Or not ‘fumble through’, or get ‘a free education’, but be professional and studious about what you do. I can see why you’re a salesman and why I’m an engineer.

Your analogy doesn’t hold water.

I can order an Aeon or Bodor online for 5x the price of a ShenHui. Direct from Aeon or Bodor. Even worse, a Thunderlaser for 5x the price, which is actually a pretty bad machine.

I’m quite aware of the mechanisms of trade, I understand holding stock, etc., but you’re avoiding the main point - when a hobbyist wants a machine on a limited budget, and has been told ‘Aeon are the one to go for’, I question why that is. Mechanically, they aren’t superior, feature-wise it’s a wash and they look pretty. But they are $12k more for a pretty case.

I’ve no issue with making a profit for providing a service, but that’s not what the discussion was about. I also don’t have a problem with charging a premium for hand-holding - there’s a lot of inept people out there that have made me wealthy with their ineptitude. But the statement was made that it’s a ‘better’ or ‘the best’ choice, when it simply isn’t. It’s ‘a’ choice that might suit some people who value hand-holding over buying on quality terms.

As an engineer, my idea of what is ‘better’ or ‘best’ has nothing to do with price, support, stock-holding or training. Your mileage may differ.