587,704 active members*
3,512 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Believable negative review of Tormach company support and product quality

Hybrid View

Re: Believable negative review of Tormach company support and product quality

Quote Originally Posted by 4world View Post
    Is there a CNC mill for non-machinists like me to which I could just send 3D designs and it could make the part for me (of course, after manually loading the metal, tools, some basic maintenance, and even doing some Mach 3 or Grbl basic programming as needed but with some built-in "Help" feature).

5 mil accuracy, create small aluminum parts (say even 4"x3"x2" xyz), $12K-15K max incl. tools, but something where I don't need a 6-12 month milling course.

:wave:
    Short answer is "No". That's what you can do with a 3d printer though. Just design and print. Machining is a whole different world. Its not just about using software to generate tool paths. There are a plethora of other variables come in to play. Work holding designs of complex parts can be harder to make than the part itself. Tool selection, material type, feeds and speeds, tool access to parts are just a few things. I've been machining for 8 years and there are still a ton of things to learn. Especially with unique geometry and difficult to machine materials.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post
    Short answer is "No". That's what you can do with a 3d printer though.
    ++1

3D printer won't destroy a $50 endmill and punch a hole through your vise or table because you selected the wrong offset or screwed up zeroing you axis. Won't sling your part across the room at 60 mph because your workholding method sucks. A 3D printer won't overheat and slag your tool because you just randomly selected feeds and speeds without bothering to learn the science behind it... or at least use a program like HSM Advisor or G-Wizard to get the right answer.

I think some people expect a cnc mill is just as easy to use as a 3D printer, and quickly become disillusioned and angry when they met reality. There is a reason why the tradition tech school - apprenticeship - journeyman approach lasts for years.

It would be impossible to write a "slicer" (aka CAM) and mill controller to recognize and take into account all the variables: workholding, correct tools, automatically find tool offsets and work offsets, select the right tool paths, etc etc etc. And if such a beast existed, it would cost millions of dollars. And you probably still could cause tens of thousands of dollars in a heartbeat if you didn't know what you are doing.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Tormach today is one of the largest players in the space and in the grand scheme of things they are tiny.
    This.

Also: In addition to Protolabs, there's Xometry, and your local job shop down the street. Those are real options.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post
    Short answer is "No". That's what you can do with a 3d printer though. Just design and print. Machining is a whole different world. Its not just about using software to generate tool paths. There are a plethora of other variables come in to play. Work holding designs of complex parts can be harder to make than the part itself. Tool selection, material type, feeds and speeds, tool access to parts are just a few things. I've been machining for 8 years and there are still a ton of things to learn. Especially with unique geometry and difficult to machine materials.
    ummmm... 3D printer is MUCH more pain in the ass than CNC. Its not that hard, just might be a bit intimidating at first. a 3D printer is constantly a PITA, even when you know them inside and out lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    ummmm... 3D printer is MUCH more pain in the ass than CNC. Its not that hard, just might be a bit intimidating at first. a 3D printer is constantly a PITA, even when you know them inside and out lol.
    Boy, it would be hard to me to disagree more. I got my first 3D printer about 6 weeks ago - given to me by a friend who bought a larger machine. After putting it back together, it took no time at all to download and install all the software, and print my first parts. The learning curve was unbelievably quick, as the software (Cura) is so completely automated. I can load a model, generate the G-code and start the printer printing with something like a dozen mouse clicks! Other than initial problems with the base layer not sticking to the bed, every print I've done has come out nearly perfect. And this is a VERY inexpensive printer (Tevo Tarantula - $179 for the kit), with a few pretty simple upgrades.

Compare that to learning curve required to generate the simplest g-code for a mill using Solidworks of Fusion and Mach3 or PP. Compare the potential range of problems to just the learning curve on feeds and speeds for cutting metal (something I spent YEARS mastering), much less the countless other areas where you can get into trouble. There is no comparison.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Boy, it would be hard to me to disagree more. I got my first 3D printer about 6 weeks ago - given to me by a friend who bought a larger machine. After putting it back together, it took no time at all to download and install all the software, and print my first parts. The learning curve was unbelievably quick, as the software (Cura) is so completely automated.
    Ray,

If you like the results from Cura, you need to check out Simply3D. It is not free but it is powerful. Things like being able to manipulate support and being able to modify printing parameter through different zone or layer ranges.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Boy, it would be hard to me to disagree more. I got my first 3D printer about 6 weeks ago....

I am with Ray. I have two 3D printers... frequently both of them are running around the clock. I maybe end up scrapping 1 in 20 parts. Almost bulletproof, and "dialing it in" isn't hard.

"Makers" moving from the 3d printer experience are bound to be very disappointed when they get to CNC Mills. The mistakes you make on your mill costs you a minimum of $40 (scrapped endmill)... and maybe thousands of dollars in machine repairs. The 3D printer mistake costs you $1 in plastic, and absolutely no damage to the printer.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.