587,161 active members*
2,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

need help with Dust shoe design

I have my ATC working great. Now it's time to make a dust shoe so I don't have to chase the spindle with a hose .

I have seen the style where you can set the height of the shoe to a fixed level and the spindle travels up and down, like the one in this video (starting at 0:30): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx-7lTJryJY

But I also have a tool changer so I would need to have it move up and out of the way. I had planed to use pneumatic cylinders to lift the shoe, and make the mount for the cylinders adjustable. But my problem is that since the shoe will be at different heights, how do I account for the fact that it will need to lift different amounts before it hits the mounting?

Most of the time i am using bits that stick out about 1 1/4" but I do use bits up to 2" long,

I have attached a picture to show my set up. The point where the round part of the spindle meets the housing is the bottom of the mount.
    Attachment 414258

Re: need help with Dust shoe design

I don't have any advice on dust shoes, but for debris removal try a dust extraction nut, like IMS Twister: https://www.imsusanc.com/products/twister-er32

Pardon my ignorance here but what the heck is that ConeGuy? anyone have some footage of it in operation...

Adam,
    Gecko G540, Rack and Pinion Drives-X and A axis, 1/2-10 5 Start Acme-Z Axis
    4-THK HSR 25 Linear Slides, KL23H2100-35-4B, Power Supply-KL-600-48 48V

Looks like a cyclone propeller to
    keep the cutting area clear of chips

I’ll take a look I might have something that will work with the spindle. If I can find it I’ll send over some pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know how serious you are trying to get with the dust collection but I do have a large collection unit. It came with a machine that I purchased a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by dillonfitz View Post
    I don’t know how serious you are trying to get with the dust collection but I do have a large collection unit. It came with a machine that I purchased a while back.

I'm just looking for the Shoe on the end of the spindle. I have a Torit cyclone dust collector. I'm not sure of the inner workings of that one, but my cyclone works great, I just need a way to hold the end of the hose where it needs to go!

Quote Originally Posted by TTalma View Post
    I'm just looking for the Shoe on the end of the spindle. I have a Torit cyclone dust collector. I'm not sure of the inner workings of that one, but my cyclone works great, I just need a way to hold it where it needs to go!
    I’ll see if I can find that shoe I have laying around

Quote Originally Posted by adam_m View Post
    Pardon my ignorance here but what the heck is that ConeGuy? anyone have some footage of it in operation...

Adam,
    I found a video of it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrYbW8sjkdU

Here is a video of a competitors where you can actually see what's going on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmKolynd3G4

I don't think it would work for me. My machine already throws dust all over the place! I'm trying to avoid that

I'd think you could just use a pneumatic lift with a mechanical stop on the spring return.

You should ask davida1234 if he could make you a dust shoe, the custom one he makes would probably work it's a pretty rad design.

Dan

Did a little searching and didn't find a picture of his dust shoe. Do you have any links?