Hi Jason - I have worked for myself for over 30 years. In that time I have worked for others, either as an opportunity or in tough times and personally started up a couple of businesses and been involved in several start ups and shut downs. I'm starting up one at present selling kit CNC machines but that's another story. I recommend you don't invest in machinery unless you have a written supply contract. A machine that is not moving is costing money, not making money. Plus noisy jobs do not work at home... There are probably lots of contract machinists out there that can make your "clients" stuff and they will do it better and cheaper then you at home. So definitely look for design work as this you can do at home with minimal $$$. If your good with 3D modelling I think you'll always have a side job. Do a business course asap. Basic book keeping and business systems. If you don't have some idea of these you won't make any money. It took me probably 20 years to figure out how to make money as a machine designer. Do not take on everything that comes your way. You need to develop a specialty, something that you can advertise that will attract a certain type of customer. I was at a business seminar and the speaker said there were two types of businesses that earnt the best money. Pain or Pleasure. If someone is in pain they just want it fixed and will pay whatever it costs to stop the pain (eg repair and maintenance). If its something someone wants really badly and it will give them lots of pleasure then same. They will pay for the pleasure. In a way its pleasurable for them to spend the money as they have lots of it. (custom cars, boats planes motorbikes, big toys) If you pick something other than these two you are in middle ground where the lowest cost is the driver. In this ground you will burn up years chasing various low margin or zero margin projects and you may as well have had a 9-5 job. Since you have a job you have time to plan this step. Also think 3D printing not milling. Subtractive tech is old tech. So list your skills and interests and find a P&P zone that these covers then do some business courses. People will recommend writing a Biz Plan and I have done this several times. This is old tech as well. Look at this sort of thing.. https://www.strategyzer.com/ much more relevant and agile. Good Luck Cheers Peter S