588,395 active members*
4,819 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bridgeport ballscrew retrofit, design the yoke

Hybrid View

Re: Bridgeport ballscrew retrofit, design the yoke

Jfroux_1 Exactly, both screws machined in china using my drawings and shipped for 350$ CAD.
    I build a new yoke in order to the save the original parts intact.
    You will find the bolt pattern in the supplier drawing infos from who you will buy the screws. The orignal yoke has no threaded holes for a ball screw nut.
    Mach3 Back lash compensation is working very well for me. Even with the rack and pinion setup on the quill.

Re: Bridgeport ballscrew retrofit, design the yoke

Daroc30, the price is impressive! Other than the price, how can you compare the accuracy for the x and y when you compare to a Bridgeport CNC equipped with a Hiwin setup? I’m sure that those cheap china ballscrew do not last very long compare to Hiwin quality, but for a hobbyist that uses this equipment for less than 300 hours per year, is long life a factor?

Quote Originally Posted by jfroux_1 View Post
    Daroc30, the price is impressive! Other than the price, how can you compare the accuracy for the x and y when you compare to a Bridgeport CNC equipped with a Hiwin setup? I’m sure that those cheap china ballscrew do not last very long compare to Hiwin quality, but for a hobbyist that uses this equipment for less than 300 hours per year, is long life a factor?
    for sure its not the same quality as hiwin, chinese screws are probably rolled screws and hiwin are ground screws. For what i do it is plenty enough , i selected a double nut to increase its axial load capacity hence increasing its life. the long life is not a factor for me , i will probably never change them. And as i said, if a backlash appears in few years, i can extend its life by throwing some backlash compensation and/ or screw mapping into mach3