587,770 active members*
3,107 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Mechanical Calculations/Engineering Design > Need help brainstorming a solution for this mill turn spindle

Hybrid View

Re: Need help brainstorming a solution for this mill turn spindle

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnSjoblom View Post
    Saying that belts only stretch unless overloaded is incorrect. Same with tooth deflection. Any load at all will cause tooth deflection and belt stretch, it's just a question of how much. Everything in this universe deflects with any amount of pressure. If you place a grain of rice on the corner of a 12 inch thick chunk of granite, the granite bends. There is no such thing as "no deflection". Tooth deflection and belt stretch is proportional to belt width. The fact that you say things like "there will be no stretch" makes me think you don't understand these facts. There will always be stretch and tooth deflection. The goal is to reduce it as much as possible. There is no point where it's eliminated completely. It's the laws of physics

And once again, the 50mm may very well be overkill and beyond what's going to give significant improvent, but I definitely dont believe there's no reason to go bigger than 16mm. The more deflection there is, the worse chatter will be during machining.
    If you place a grain of rice on the corner of a 12 inch thick chunk of granite, the granite bends that's just to funny to make a comment (nuts)

It's all about Design once a Belt has been correctly Tensioned to the manufactures spec's it does not stretch anymore unless the load exceeds the spec's you obvious have not put/used any design spec's for your belt and just gone bigger is better

First you need an understanding of physics before you make those quotes

I'm sure what ever you end up with it will be perfect
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If you place a grain of rice on the corner of a 12 inch thick chunk of granite, the granite bends that's just to funny to make a comment (nuts)

It's all about Design once a Belt has been correctly Tensioned to the manufactures spec's it does not stretch anymore unless the load exceeds the spec's you obvious have not put/used any design spec's for your belt and just gone bigger is better

First you need an understanding of physics before you make those quotes

I'm sure what ever you end up with it will be perfect
    So you're really trying to say once the belt is tensioned, there be ZERO stretch and tooth deflection until you exceed the specs? Sorry man, you're wrong. Yes I understand the physics of it and it doesn't work that way. Are you disagreeing with the comment about the grain of rice on the slab of granite? Because it's absolutely true. Yes, my belt might be overkill, but your idea of a zero deflection situation is a fantasy. Everything deflects. It can't be avoided. There is no magical material that doesn't stretch/compress when applying a load. We obviously have 2 different ideas of how the laws of physics work so there's no point arguing it anymore. I've already admitted my belt may be wider than what is significantly advantageous, and if it causes problems i will go down to 30mm, but your scenario of zero deflection under load just doesn't exist.

Re: Need help brainstorming a solution for this mill turn spindle

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnSjoblom View Post
    So you're really trying to say once the belt is tensioned, there be ZERO stretch and tooth deflection until you exceed the specs? Sorry man, you're wrong. Yes I understand the physics of it and it doesn't work that way. Are you disagreeing with the comment about the grain of rice on the slab of granite? Because it's absolutely true. Yes, my belt might be overkill, but your idea of a zero deflection situation is a fantasy. Everything deflects. It can't be avoided. There is no magical material that doesn't stretch/compress when applying a load. We obviously have 2 different ideas of how the laws of physics work so there's no point arguing it anymore. I've already admitted my belt may be wider than what is significantly advantageous, and if it causes problems i will go down to 30mm, but your scenario of zero deflection under load just doesn't exist.
    We obviously have 2 different ideas of how the laws of physics work Yes it's called education

As I said do the calculation's the spec's are out there, and many are doing this in commercial installations just as you want to do
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    We obviously have 2 different ideas of how the laws of physics work Yes it's called education

As I said do the calculation's the spec's are out there, and many are doing this in commercial installations just as you want to do
    "Yes it's called education"
    Which you must not have had if you believe there's anything in this universe that doesn't deflect under load. Why do you think gates has polychain carbon gt belts? One of the reasons is to reduce belt stretch. All belts have SOME stretch after being tensioned correctly and used within their specs.
    If you want to go with the education comment, why don't we start with basic punctuation in a sentence before moving on to physics.