587,326 active members*
3,507 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Ordering a K2 3925

I've decided to take the plunge & order a K2. There are machines that seem a bit more rigid (shop sabre), but I think K2 has some good deals going.

I've been doing a good bit of surfacing work with Rhino & am really impressed with it - I'm planning on using Rhino & RhinoCAM for most of my work.

I'll be setting up a job shop for inlay, guitar parts, furniture..and anything else..! Can't wait to get the machine..

Keep us informed.

I'll look forward to hearing what you think.

I have been thinking about getting a K2 for a second operation machine. I need to countersink a 0.2" dia hole on a bunch of 0.063" thk aluminum parts.

Let me know how it goes.

I am interested in your opinion of how the machine is in therme of quality, rigity, and accuracy. Please keep us posted. When do you expect delivery?

I've been running a K2 3925G in my Guitar workshop for the past year and have been very pleased wih it.

I started out usind RhinoCAM but have recently switched to madCAM as I find it more intuitive with a faster workflow, better toolpaths and better integration. The support is second to none and it's significantly cheaper too.

K2..

I'm ordering it today, so I should get it in 4 to 6 weeks...

XLR8R - do you have any examples of the parts you've cut with the K2? How many guitars are you making with it? I'lll probably make a few guitars while I'm at it...I can't wait to get hold of this thing!

I've looked at MadCAM but I wasn't too crazy about it. RhinoCAM's interface & options are suspicously similar to MasterCAM, which I use regularly at my day job..

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarEng View Post
    I'm ordering it today, so I should get it in 4 to 6 weeks...

XLR8R - do you have any examples of the parts you've cut with the K2? How many guitars are you making with it? I'lll probably make a few guitars while I'm at it...I can't wait to get hold of this thing!

I've looked at MadCAM but I wasn't too crazy about it. RhinoCAM's interface & options are suspicously similar to MasterCAM, which I use regularly at my day job..

Having used both madCAM and Rhinocam to my mind there is no competition. madCAMs interface may not be familiar but it only takes aa hour or so and it'll become second nature.

I also had all kinds of issues with Rhinocam changing parameters and tools after I'd selected them during mops - requiring me to check EVERYTHING before post processing.

I'm finishing at least one high end guitar a month with my K2 although I do tend to build in batches i.e this past week or so I've done a run of ten bodies and next week I'll set up for the necks etc.

You can check out my website to give you an idea of some of my work.

http://www.morgancustomguitars.com/index.html

Neil.

Nice Work!

Very nice work!!!

I'll have to look at MadCAM again..

Sorry,
    I am new of this forum,
    I looked for someone sell an used KG3925?
    Thanks

Simone

Neil,

The pics on your site wont load properly. Only get pics about 150px high.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    Neil,

Hi , Nell
    copy and past in your browser
    http://www.morgancustomguitars.com/p.../slideshow.swf
    should work

Thanks

Simone

Smile morgancustomguitars.

Neil,

Hi , Nell
    copy and past in your browser
    http://www.com/page4/files/slideshow.swf
    should work

Thanks

Simone

Neil,

Cheers, Haydn - I've tried it on three seprate PCs and several different browsers and couldn't replicate the problem. Anybody else having this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Cheers, Haydn - I've tried it on three seprate PCs and several different browsers and couldn't replicate the problem. Anybody else having this problem?
    Hi ,
    copy and past on new page of your browser
    http://www.morgancustomguitars.com/p.../slideshow.swf
    it's work

Simone

Yea, I got the same issue (Firefox 1.5.0.8). Your link to slideshow.swf works though. Very nice too.

I had the same problem. Got to load ok with gantarone's link. Nice work.:rainfro:

I've decided to take the plunge & order a K2. There are machines that seem a bit more rigid (shop sabre), but I think K2 has some good deals going.

I've been doing a good bit of surfacing work with Rhino & am really impressed with it - I'm planning on using Rhino & RhinoCAM for most of my work.

I'll be setting up a job shop for inlay, guitar parts, furniture..and anything else..! Can't wait to get the machine..
    Hi GuitarEng, I was just wondering if you have ordered and/or received your machine yet? If so how is it doing? Thanks-Robbie
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

K2 Update

Overall I have a very good opinion of K2. I think the machine is a great machine for doing woodworking. It is rigid enough to take a decent cut with the router (I purchased the machine with the 2.25 HP porter cable router). I'm very happy I decided to purchase this machine instead of trying to build one...I do not think I would be able to attain this quality in the first go round.

With that said, I did have one small issue when I first got the machine. Namely, one of the wires was not seated well in the terminal and it caused one of the servo's to run roughly. I was on the phone with Kevin from K2 for awhile and we narrowed it down to 1 wiring harnes and/or servo. It turns out it was the connection itself, and the servo is fine. Kevin & everyone else at K2 were very helpful and knowledgeable.

I do think it would be great for K2 to include some additional information with the machine. They included some basic instructions about how to run the machine using Mach II...but I purchased the machine with Mach III. Additionally, these instructions did not cover the hardware. For instance, I was not familiar with this class of machine (I run Fadal's at work) and did not know that I should hold in the "enable" button on the power supply in order to activate the machine. I also purchased the automatic tool height setter...and although I have not spent a ton of time on this...it does not seem to be setting the tool height correctly. It would help if they included instructions for this as well.

Now that I am past these little hic-ups I encountered during startup, everything is running very well. The parts I've cut have been accurate enough to make quality guitars, furniture, and all the other things I hope to do with this machine.

FYI, I am using Rhino CAD & Rhino CAM and am also very happy with both of those packages. Both are an EXCELLENT value. I use Mastercam & Solidworks at work; Rhino has similar capabilities to Solidworks in terms of surfacing...and RhinoCAM is like a simplified version of MasterCAM. Good stuff!

If anyone has any questions about my K2, please let me know. I would be very happy to give the recommendation to buy a K2 as I did, I think they are a great value.

Have you gotten your automatic tool height setter to work correctly yet? I have been seeing them on ebay and thought about ordering one.

thanks
    Doug

I really haven't found it too necessary to mess with the thing. I can set a tool height pretty quickly just by jogging the machine and rezeroing the machine...

I suppose since I paid for it I should figure it out...and that it would probably be more consistent than my current method...but oh well. I have too many other things to mess with at the moment..!!

I really haven't found it too necessary to mess with the thing. I can set a tool height pretty quickly just by jogging the machine and rezeroing the machine...
    I must admit that's the method I'm using with mine!

Sounds like we're working with pretty much identical setups (though I'm using ProgeCAD and SheetCAM for the software toolchain).

What sort of speeds are you getting from the machine? I can run it at around 120ipm with a 1/4" upcut spiral bit, doing a 1/4" depth cut in MDF. Much faster than that and the control box cuts out on me.

Page 1 of 2 12