587,613 active members*
3,122 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Anyone considering the centroid Acorn instead of path pilot?

Hybrid View

Re: Anyone considering the centroid Acorn instead of path pilot?

Breakout board has arrived. I ordered one from Amazon. I'm sort of new to ordering things from Amazon. Its quite a treat to order something obscure in 2 minutes and then have it hand delivered for less than the cost of gas to go to town and look around for one. I have stripped out the old Novakon board and the smooth stepper. Time to mount the components in the cabinet and start the wiring.

I don't know if it has come up before so I will mention it, the basic software doesn't even do threading.

Quote Originally Posted by liefer View Post
    I don't know if it has come up before so I will mention it, the basic software doesn't even do threading.
    I just looked it up and it does mention being limited in the intercon mode to 20 lines. I think that it does do thread milling through CAM. Its not really an issue for me as I will be upgrading to at least the pro software.

Been a bit chilly up here so I have not been spending much time in my unheated shop. I have the X, Y and Z hooked up and running. Not calibrated yet but I don't anticipate any issues there it is already very close as measured with a ruler. I'll do the calibration soon. Next step is to set up the spindle. It would be a snap except I want it to work with the power draw bar. I have mostly figured out though and I think it will work. It seems the acorn uses Run/Fwd and Run/Rev instead of the Run/Off and Fwd/Rev it was set up with originally. Still reading to see if I am correct. I think the PDB will work with either setup. I'm also trying to figure out what input the PDB wants for the spindle enable signal. I probably should have measured it before I took out the original break out board.

So far my only complaint about the acorn is the lack of documentation. You have to watch videos and they do not always cover exactly what you want to know. I have not posted any questions on their forum yet as I have been trying to figure out things for myself.