587,628 active members*
3,245 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

Hybrid View

Re: GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

With MDF you have an option of using wood screws to hold down if needed. I use my track and clamps most of the time but its not always convenient.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Re: GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    With MDF you have an option of using wood screws to hold down if needed. I use my track and clamps most of the time but its not always convenient.
    Thanks, Bill. I have never used screws in MDF. I have always used the t-tracks for my anchoring points. On my first machine, my biggest limitation with t-tracks had to do with the number of tracks used/spacing between them. I had them spaced too far apart, which sometimes created challenges when clamping things down. Small pieces were problematic, as were certain sized larger pieces. I was able to compensate, at least to some extent, by cutting maple hold downs longer, but I ended up with too many hold down sizes. Storing them started to become an issue. This time around, I plan to use more tracks and space them closer together.

I was fortunate to stumble onto the t-tracks Orange Aluminum offers. At $8.54/4' piece, they have the best price I've found by a wide margin., e.g., Rocker sells 4' for $30, Woodcraft $20. Spend $100 and shipping is free. They also offer 8' pieces at $17.08 each with the same deal on free shipping. You don't get colored anodizing, but not a big deal for me.

Gary