587,708 active members*
3,737 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Problem with cranking up the current for steppers

Hybrid View

Re: Problem with cranking up the current for steppers

Quote Originally Posted by tangi View Post
    Ok so I should try to switch PSU to maybe a 36V? This is what info I have about the motors

https://ibb.co/7CycQ6r
    I guess I am not smart enough to figure the voltage out but if your limiting the amps I don't see how it could damage the motors using a 36 volts. But you need to look at the amp rating of the PS and get one designed for CNC work. It may be a DC power supply but your stepper drivers are outputting pulses. Here is a screen shot of a stepper motor being operated at different voltages. FYI.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    I guess I am not smart enough to figure the voltage out but if your limiting the amps I don't see how it could damage the motors using a 36 volts. But you need to look at the amp rating of the PS and get one designed for CNC work. It may be a DC power supply but your stepper drivers are outputting pulses. Here is a screen shot of a stepper motor being operated at different voltages. FYI.
    Thank you very much for the chart wmgeorge. I am not smart enough neither to figure it out. The Y-axis is set to a very low velocity in Mach3 to have some torque and is running as I remember 1/8 steps. I tried back and forth, and this was the best results as I could get. But sadly I cannot use, I think 1/3 of the possible machine area of the CNC, because the Y-axis isn't strong enough to run to the bottom of the axis.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    36v shouldn't damage the steppers, but it can certainly damage the drivers. Looks like the PoStep25-32 are only rated for up to 30v.