587,083 active members*
2,829 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > tormach limitation, or am I doing something wrong?

Hybrid View

Re: tormach limitation, or am I doing something wrong?

I had this problem with Haimer and the TTS holder for it. The concentricity of the tip always go off by +/-0.01mm after a while, but not immediate like yours did.

Unfortunately I don't have good news for you as I have pretty much given up on my Haimer. I use the Hallmark ITTP now and that has been a great piece of equipment.

I hope you will find a solution for your Haimer soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Snecx View Post
    I had this problem with Haimer and the TTS holder for it. The concentricity of the tip always go off by +/-0.01mm after a while, but not immediate like yours did.

Unfortunately I don't have good news for you as I have pretty much given up on my Haimer. I use the Hallmark ITTP now and that has been a great piece of equipment.

Ya, im right there with ya. I am about ready to give up on it as well.

Interesting!
    Electronic probes don't require adjustment?

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Interesting!
    Electronic probes don't require adjustment?
    Umm. Yes they do. Electronic or not it still has a probe tip that has to be adjusted to run true with the spindle.

Wait a minute. That's less than 4 tenths. Isn't that far better than the machine itself? Isn't anything less than 5 tenths considered pretty good for general machining?

If the Haimer isn't working for you what do you go with instead?

One option with electronic edge finders is to probe twice 180 degrees out, and then do the math. Even then unless you have a really really high end probe you could still be +/- a couple tenths. I've tested this by auto probing hole centers with am electronic probe. Cheap ones and mid range ones. Never had a high end one.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

One option with electronic edge finders is to probe twice 180 degrees out, and then do the math. Even then unless you have a really really high end probe you could still be +/- a couple tenths. I've tested this by auto probing hole centers with am electronic probe. Cheap ones and mid range ones. Never had a high end one.

I have a Renishaw here albeit a very old one with the manual interface board, I mainly only probe holes and use the automatic routine in Pathpilot. you still have the machine errors and if the hole is not perfect and clean there will be errors there as well. Hole probing cancels the errors associated with it, but it still shows a tenth or two off at times., more or less it depends on how many times you want to split a hair............it is plenty close enough for the work I do, and the tip position doesnt change.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post

Wait a minute. That's less than 4 tenths. Isn't that far better than the machine itself? Isn't anything less than 5 tenths considered pretty good for general machining?

If the Haimer isn't working for you what do you go with instead?

Yes +/-0.01mm is the spec of the Haimer but the tip never maintained it concentricity so the total accuracy of the Haimer turned out much worse than that (on the Tormach at least.) It’s just unpredictable for me.

The ITTP maintained its concentricity due to a more robust design with a more rigid stylus. It still requires a bit of setup for highly accurate work, but it is highly repeatable and predictable given a careful setup and use, like always probe with a calibrate feedrate and in the exact spindle orientation.

Prior to the ITTP, I locate my important work with a center scope (X/Y) and a plain dial indicator for Z. They are very repeatable, but slow.

I tested the Haimer against gage blocks/parallels but the numbers are all over the place. Using a center scope and a dial indicator, with the backlash compensated (manually or via software) I could always get accurate measurements.

Repeatability is the key for me. With the ITTP, after careful setup, I am always able to get reliable and repeatable measurements off a gage.

And of course, it depends on how good your Tormach mill is. Mine is carefully tuned with backlash compensation (with frequent manual periodical adjustments) so I have average of about 0.0001”-0.0002” (2.5-5 microns) of backlash for most of my work area.

All my tool holders are clocked to the spindle for minimum flute to flute TIR and they repeat exactly as long as I line them up exactly every time. This is how I enjoy milling 62-64hrc tool steel with 3mm endmill that requires 1% diameter WOC and even tinier chip load.

It just frustrated me that all my tools repeat but the Haimer didn’t.

Recently I have intentionally made my ITTP tip non-concentric so it probes the exact same square hole within 5 microns when rotated 180°. I did this after I realize I mostly use it to find center for X and Y. And now I can simply probe a hole and get accurate position without rotating it 180°. (If the hole is circular, it should be probed twice to find center accurately.)

In short, the ITTP is good for locating within +/-0.005mm / 0.0002” with very careful work, and I trust it to be within +/-0.01mm with general use and stay that way, but the Haimer didn’t.

I don’t do general machining with the Tormach and it’s just my hobby mill. I still struggle with its limitations.

If your Haimer is off by .01mm, I wouldn’t even be concerned. That’s only .00039 inches. That’s less than half a thousandth of an inch. The machines aren’t even that accurate. If you need better accuracy than that, you probably bought the wrong machine.