587,665 active members*
4,049 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Spiral Fluting A 17" Rifle Barrel With 4th Axiz

Hybrid View

I finally got it reassembled

It's taken a while to finish up this project and I'm still not completely finished but, I'm far enough along to where I can confidently see the light at the end of the tunnel; so to speak. I had a few snafus along the way so I had to divert my attention and resources toward getting those things taken care of. I learned a few things that I didn't know before and if I were to do another similar project I know I'd go into it with alot more confidence.

I want to give a shout out to Eldar G. over at HSM Advisor for his help in figuring out some good feeds and speeds for the type of metal my barrel blank was made of. Also thanks to you guys for the interest you showed as I muttled along with this project. As pictured in the included images, this rifle project is wearing some of the cheapest peripherals that money can buy. I don't intend on investing any more money into it until I find out if she's going to shoot good for me. If it shoots only half as good as my last Tikka rebarreling project I'll be a happy camper.

MetalShavings

Re: I finally got it reassembled

The thread protector is sweet. Nice job.

Next: Form 1 and use the 4th axis to engrave the can...

Re: I finally got it reassembled

Quote Originally Posted by spumco View Post
    The thread protector is sweet. Nice job.

Next: Form 1 and use the 4th axis to engrave the can...
    The suppressor in the pic is already engraved it's just hard to see. I have dreamed of going the "Form 1" route and making my own suppressor. If I did so I'd most likely just clone the design of this present Lane-Suppressor. I like that I can take it apart to thoroughly clean it; especially after shooting cast lead bullets through it. What I don't like is that it's a bit on the heavy side.

It's a combination of titanium and stainless steel. I would have liked to have bought the all-titanium version but that was a bit to expensive for my budget at the time of purchase. I've dreamed of making an all titanium clone to lighten it up a little.

MetalShavings