587,603 active members*
4,079 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Scary VM10U problems

Hybrid View

Re: Scary VM10U problems

If a machine was costing me money rather than making me money, I guess I would either upgrade the controller and make mechanical mods needed or drag it out of the shop and replace it with a machine that would make money.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Re: Scary VM10U problems

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    If a machine was costing me money rather than making me money, I guess I would either upgrade the controller and make mechanical mods needed or drag it out of the shop and replace it with a machine that would make money.
    Yeah that's a pretty ****ty situation when you are $135,000 into a machine. It definitely catches you in a bad place. I bet resale value is $95K right now. You want to see an end of the money pit issues, or you have to take a loss and resell. It doesn't help that the machine has had about 8 or 9 little problems where tech support could really save the day and you get the Hurco message machine and a call back in 3-24 hours so a guy is sitting on the clock under-employed at a business where we don't want to screw with that guy and send him home, and that even becomes part of the cost of owning a Hurco. One day it was tool change recovery. The onboard software didn't work, and we just tried random stuff for 3 hours until we figured it out. That was up to 3 people trying to get the machine back online after a low air pressure incident alarmed it out. probably about $100 an hour before factoring the lost time.

Yesterday I had a Yama Seiki Y axis motor alarm code in Fanuc, we called Yama Seiki and were able to trouble shoot that to a disconnected solder joint at a plug in about 2 hours after immediately getting someone on the phone in a 5 minute conversation, and were able to have the machine back up in 3 hours. That machine has about 5 times as many hours as the hurco and is a workhorse compared. A major problem resolved in the same time as a Hurco tool change recovery. The Hurco approach to customer service is just flawed, and should be changed. The other day I was on the Hurco user group with actual Hurco customer service people telling me they were unoccupied and to call, and I was still getting the message machine and being put into a lengthy que. Their own people don't understand their system doesn't work.