Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
I have found that out of the Chinese motors fitted, the Johnson is one of the better quality ones, also using a MC2100, instead of the MC-60 SCR bridge type, provides much smoother control, as I stated earlier, if using the MC-60 there is a mod that prevents going back down to zero on the pot to start or re-start.
The control on the MC2100 is much nicer due to the output to the motor being PWM.
But you cannot just hook a pot up to it, it also has a PWM control signal, so either one of the 555 based analogue to PWM signal boards have to be put together as per a few sites that show the circuit, or as I did, build one around a small Picmicro 12F.
As well as smooth motor control, the MC2100 has a restart feature, regardless where the pot is.
The one in the video is a simple basic Triac, and the poster fitted a bridge rectifier to, these have no features whatsoever, so you get what you pay for.
Al. .
Very good info thanks!

So this is not my area of experience, being i have the stock HF motor with the LMS belt drive. I am getting like 4600 RPM's out of it. I might consider upgrading this. I am using a CNC4PC C11G board to drive the spindle motor in place of the POT. All that said what would be a good upgrade? Motor and controller? Also, is there a controller that would just use the PWM right from the Control board and not have to use the analog drive?