588,518 active members*
7,497 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

Hybrid View

Re: GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

wow, that is the bulkiest spindle connection I have ever seen.

AVE comes to mind on those pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by nlancaster View Post

I just ran the heavy duty shielded VFD cable to a oil/water tight gasketed J box mounted directly to my moving Z carriage. Used a smaller cable from there to my OEM spindle connector. The motor is grounded with the clamp that holds the spindle (its all aluminum) and its grounded via a ground wire back to that J box and its connections. The spindle holder supplies over 18 sq inches of grounding surface to the motor frame. Simple and it works.

Added: Perhaps because I did not use a Chinese VFD has something to do with low noise and no issues. It cost me another $100 or so more to get my Hitachi, same one I used on my Emco 3 phase metal lathe without any issues.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by nlancaster View Post

Yeah, it's pretty big and ugly. Interestingly, it's similar in appearance to one of the Amphenol industrial connectors. Probably a knockoff.

Actually, it is described as a 20mm aviation connector.

I like the looks of the plastic ones a lot better, but don't like the fact they are plastic. Big & ugly, but it's all metal and works.

Gary

I verified the steps per and measured the backlash on the Avid CNC Ballscrew Z axis. I found one thing strange. I went to the Avid site and used their XML file selector for Mach3 to find out the steps per they preloaded for the Z axis. It was 5080 ipm. I set Z at 5080 in Mach4 and used a dial indicator and Mach4's steps per wizard. Surprise! When I commanded a .75" move, i got exactly 50% of that, or .375". Huh??? Naturally, the wizard told me to double my steps per, so I did, 10160. Set up my dial indicator again and commanded .75". ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!!!:banana:

Next, I set up my dial indicator again and moved Z downward until it depressed the indicator plunger about .75". I rezeroed the indicator and commanded a .5" upward move. The indicator read exactly .5" of movement. Any backlash shows up on direction changes. NO MEASURABLE BACKLASH!!!! :wee:

If anyone is wondering, I started with the Z axis, because it is the easiest to check and isn't dependent on a rack and pinion to set up. X is the next easiest, because I am only dealing with one stepper. Y will take much more time, because I am dealing with a Master & slave, and cannot Ref All Home until I loosen all of the gantry screws. If I tried to Ref All without loosening the gantry, either the gantry would either have to be dead on perfectly aligned, or referencing all would put it into a bind - maybe a very bad bind. I don't want any binds and the stress it would cause. Better to loosen the gantry, reference all, tighten the gantry back down and move on to getting Y mechanically square.

I'll post a photo of the the dial indicator setup for the Z axis when I'm next in shop. No magic to it, though. Just mount the indicator with the plunger facing up under a movable part of the axis and measure away.

I have to say that I'm really impressed with the quality of the Avid CNC Z axis. Well thought out. Little known fact: Avid CNC manufactures the Z and other parts in their manufacturing facility in California. I just learned it today in a conversation with the folks at Avid. I knew their main facility was located up the road from me in North Bend, WA, but I didn't know they had manufacturing facility. I just assumed they had companies building parts for them. I gather they are going to shoot some videos downstream showcasing their California facility.

Gary