587,694 active members*
3,590 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > How is everyone building a DIY CNC router system that maintains cutting tolerances?

Hybrid View

Re: How is everyone building a DIY CNC router system that maintains cutting tolerance

LOL....I doubt that anyone with just a smidgeon of knowledge on CNC matters and a scant inventory of tooling or any machinery would contemplate a CNC build let alone indulge in buying a well used or one in good condition at an auction, to then tear it apart and attempt to convert it to a CNC capable machine to make items with tight tolerances.

The build itself will test the courage of even a hardened trades person if the tooling or machinery to do the task is lacking.

It takes a machine to make a machine is very true, and if that is not in the equation the last resort is a secondary outlet like a well tooled friend or with lots of spare disposable income sending the drawings out to a work shop to do it for you...….mega bucks are part of that option, but if you want something that really works and can design accordingly, I would leave that part of the build to the experts......a lot depends on the size of your money box in the end or the size of your loan application at your favourite loan shark outlet too.

Going down the total third party build, it would be more practical to browse your local machinery showroom and wait until Xmas for a nice "surprise".

I would like to see a concept sketch of something that looks like it could do the job than hypothesise forever on something that might do the job if only.....so, a sketch, a sketch, my kingdom for a sketch.
    Ian.

Re: How is everyone building a DIY CNC router system that maintains cutting tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    LOL....I doubt that anyone with just a smidgeon of knowledge on CNC matters and a scant inventory of tooling or any machinery would contemplate a CNC build let alone indulge in buying a well used or one in good condition at an auction, to then tear it apart and attempt to convert it to a CNC capable machine to make items with tight tolerances.

The build itself will test the courage of even a hardened trades person if the tooling or machinery to do the task is lacking.

It takes a machine to make a machine is very true, and if that is not in the equation the last resort is a secondary outlet like a well tooled friend or with lots of spare disposable income sending the drawings out to a work shop to do it for you...….mega bucks are part of that option, but if you want something that really works and can design accordingly, I would leave that part of the build to the experts......a lot depends on the size of your money box in the end or the size of your loan application at your favourite loan shark outlet too.

Going down the total third party build, it would be more practical to browse your local machinery showroom and wait until Xmas for a nice "surprise".

I would like to see a concept sketch of something that looks like it could do the job than hypothesise forever on something that might do the job if only.....so, a sketch, a sketch, my kingdom for a sketch.
    Ian.

I dunno, there seems to be a lot of hobby builds and many of those are first timers with little to no prior experience. Learning as you go is part of the fun. There is a whole industry supporting newbie cnc builders. I can't imagine that Open Builds is selling anything to seasoned pros with full machine shops...

Having a machine to build a machine would definitely make things easier though. I thought about buying a cheap Chinese router off ebay just to make reasonably accurate mounting plates for my build.

That was the biggest challenge for me. Aside from the pain in the ass of drilling and threading 7 million holes, trying to do it by hand does not result in the squarest or most parallel machine... No matter how carefully you measure, it never comes out quite right.