587,840 active members*
3,367 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Are Machine shops worth it?

Hybrid View

Before starting your own shop I recommend looking seriously at what contacts you already have. If you don't know several people in buying positions of several companies, then don't start. Make the contacts first, build the network. Getting the machines,building,knowledge,personal is all straight forward. Getting a foot in the door for work is the hard part.Making the parts is the easy part, most people really don't understand how to run a business.

Never assume work will come to you because you hang an open sign on the door. With owning your own shop you will have no life for the first 5 years of being full time. The rewards match the level of "yourself" you are willing to sacrifice.

Don't misunderstand me please, being the owner and your own boss can be rewarding. Stay focused and you'll be ok. Keep your emotions in check, it's business not personal. When first starting capital is limited so try to specialize in 1 type of work. Finding the niche is very tough.

I agree with DLMACHINE. The contacts are the most important part of starting a shop. Everyone here knows how to make a part assuming that we have parts to make. I guess that's the big hurdle for most would be shop owners. How to get their foot in the door with clients and prove their abilities. How to make those contacts. I've heard that some places hire technical or sales reps to float the shop's name around and sell the business for them. Are these guys worth the money and are they a viable way to gain business?
    I don't know much about anything but I know a little about everything....

Quote Originally Posted by cdlenterprises View Post
    I agree with DLMACHINE. The contacts are the most important part of starting a shop. Everyone here knows how to make a part assuming that we have parts to make. I guess that's the big hurdle for most would be shop owners. How to get their foot in the door with clients and prove their abilities. How to make those contacts. I've heard that some places hire technical or sales reps to float the shop's name around and sell the business for them. Are these guys worth the money and are they a viable way to gain business?
    no... i know i am new here and that this is my first post but to be honest with you... it is not the contracts in place that are important... it is the machines... if you get a contract typical lead time to make a part is 4 weeks at a good machine shop... getting machines takes about 2-4 weeks... so your reputation is ruined right as you get out the door... your lead time is 6-8 weeks when your competitors are at 4 weeks or better

it is better to just start a small operation in your own garage producing small production runs... the big companies wont even touch small jobs... that will be your niche market... then you build your reputation as a machinist/machine shop... then you grow from there

Quote Originally Posted by AlexChuang View Post
    ..... it is better to just start a small operation in your own garage producing small production runs... the big companies wont even touch small jobs... that will be your niche market... then you build your reputation as a machinist/machine shop... then you grow from there
    Alex, This is probably the best niche to fill any way. Not many shops want those one-of-a-kind jobs. Look at all the car, motorcycle, etc restorers who need to have a part reproduced that is no longer available. They will pay big bucks to have it made up. You have just filled a void in the production world.

Greg