587,240 active members*
3,151 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DeskCNC Toolpath problem

I am having trouble with a pocket toolpath, basically I have a circle, with another circle (island) inside with same centre, it is part of a larger part, but I can't get the toolpath to cut the correct distance from the island, it is cutting the diameter of the cutter away from the toolpath instead of the radius, leaving a larger island than what is drawn. I am sure it is something stupid I have done, but any ideas would be appreciated. I have checked the tool diameter is correct.

Russell.

Russell,

Post the drawing you are using and I'll check it out, not a common problem so it's hard to put a finger on it without reproducing the problem.

Regards

Dave
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Are you using a CAD/CAM program , or using the Desk CNC CAD program?
    Generally if your cutter comp or off set are on the wrong side, you will get the results your reporting.

Cutter comp , G41 ( right) or G 42 ( left ) may help.

If not, post a picture with measurements and I'll give you the G code for the drawing for Desk CNC, that will give you some idea how to program wierd pockets in the future.

Adobe (old as dirt)

Thanks guys, I think I sorted it, I kinda cheated, the tool I was using was larger than half the pocket, so I selected single, contoured with internal cutout offset for the larger circle and then selected the internal circle, coutoured the outside. Did the trick. It was probably my drawing skills, or lack of, but I am getting there...

It is just for cable chain I am making, the thread for that is here :

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25257

Just so you can see what I am making.

The last pages have the parts I am talking about.

Cheers.

Russell.