There are some very efficient high speed EoP (EthernetOverPower) adapters these days. Plug one into a power point in the house and the other in a power point in the workshop. This gives you an Ethernet port at each end. Connect each end to whatever you need to and bingo, Ethernet between the two sites.

Make sure you plug the adapters into the same circuit if possible otherwise you may get a large throughput loss or intermittent communications.

At the workshop end, connect an Ethernet switch, that way you can plug the AXBB and the Laptop/PC in and take the PC with you when you leave.

The AXBB makers also have a wireless pendant that connects to the PC and provides most needed functions but I don't know of one with a full keypad, but they do have keys that can be programmed to execute macros that you can set to do whatever except make a cup of coffee.

Don't know the Tekcel machine but at 20 years old, you likely need new driver modules, maybe also servos. The AXBB with some ClearPath drives (servo or stepper killers) might be worth a look.

As mentioned I'll upgrade to an AXBB eventually, I'd also have zero problems dropping in a set of ClearPath Stepper Killers when I can afford it but the sounds of real steppers is generally quite pleasing :-)