588,665 active members*
6,117 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Autodesk CAM > F360 - spiral toolpath on 4th axis?

Hybrid View

Re: F360 - spiral toolpath on 4th axis?

Gerry, "wrap" is available only for a couple of 2d strategies and it only allows wrapping onto a convex cylindrical form. As soon as the form is non-cylindrical (or, as on one of my ops, on a concave cylindrical face) you're hosed.

Yeah, the more I look into it the more I see other people b1tching about the lack of support and at least a year's worth of teasing from Autodesk hinting that it's "coming soon".

With Flow I can be careful about my U/V selection and it kind of works but it's a finishing-only strategy. I'm probably going to end up building an envelope with a decagonal(?, ten sides anyway) profile and do a bunch of adaptive (trochoidal / hsm) hogging paths around the part to restrict how far off-axis any of them get - just trying to keep the torque under control. Then finish off with the Flow strategy. Or something.

Side note. Despite it costing a billionty times as much, I now remember having the same issues with Creo's CAM package - 3 axis no worries, 5 axis no worries, 4 axis continuous was basically "Yeah draw some lines and tell the tool tip to follow them". Some real deja vu going on right here. Major difference is that F360 is infinitely cheaper and just as infinitely easier / saner to drive in the stuff it does support.

Re: F360 - spiral toolpath on 4th axis?

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    Gerry, "wrap" is available only for a couple of 2d strategies and it only allows wrapping onto a convex cylindrical form. As soon as the form is non-cylindrical (or, as on one of my ops, on a concave cylindrical face) you're hosed.

Yeah, the more I look into it the more I see other people b1tching about the lack of support and at least a year's worth of teasing from Autodesk hinting that it's "coming soon"..
    I think you need to understand more how fusion works... which is on SOLIDs and not MESHes. So as long as you have a face or edge on a cylinder you can machine it. Both the examples you gave can be easily achieved.

But in the case of wrapping, you flatten a mesh. Fusion has no way of machining meshes. If you really wanted to wrap on fusion you would need to convert the mesh to nurbs and machine the model as a whole.