587,587 active members*
4,242 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Z-axis overshooting sometimes

Yes, sorry I forget that not everyone knows what I have been going through and forget to mention everything. The machine was running fine for about 2 years, then all of a sudden I got a weird issue where starting the spindle would occasionally trigger a limit, if I jiggled the spindle cable it would work. I just assumed that the wire for the spindle was too close to the Z axis inductance sensor. Then one day no matter what I did I couldn't get the spindle to turn on at all without triggering a limit. The only way to get the spindle to run without tripping a limit was to unplug everything from the control box minus the spindle, but then again when I did that, it was running in limit override mode because the servos were showing as tripped, so it may very well have still been tripping a limit. It was mentioned on the UCCNC forum that the cheaper chinese VFDs main capacitors dry out quickly and increase the noise. Updating the software to get the debounce parameter fixed it, but I think it possibly has introduced other issues.

1. I do have dust collection, but with my issues, I use it very rarely, but, I will try grounding it to see if that helps with anything.

2. I am looking for a decent EMI filter. For a 2.2kw spindle, will a 20amp filter do? Doing a quick calc at single phase 220v, the max it will pull is 10amps, plus losses in the VFD.

3. I am using shielded and either 18/4 or 16/4 wire. Inside the case is a different story. For some stupid reason I stripped all of the wires to make it easier to terminate the wires so there isnt any shielded cables inside the case. I do plan to get clamp on ferrite rings to try and reduce the EMI in there as well. The grounding I will have to check, but I believe that I wired the ground to the spindle. and the other ground to the case.

4. Looking at the webpage I got them from (https://www.automationdirect.com/adc..._cables/evc179) again, it doesn't look like it is shielded. Would ferrite rings on either end help out here?

I only blame the VFD because it seemed to be the root of my other issues forcing me to update the software to an alpha release. Another problem I can think of is I put everything in one case and the breakout boards and directly above the VFD. When wiring it up, I had read to keep everything away from the power supply because it has noise, but heard nothing about a VFD until after everything was wired in. Would moving it out, or maybe adding sheet steel/aluminum between the top of the VFD and the control boards help keep noise separated?

Attachment 427482

If you think it is mechanical, what other items could it be? Losing steps I totally get in every direction, but gaining steps doesn't make sense to me, at least mechanically wise. The Z sort of made sense since if the coupler is slipping the weight on the acme thread just allows it to keep going into the board when the motor stops. I don't think it was slipping because before I welded the coupler to the rod I had the motor holding steady and used vice grips to try and make the rod slip, I put a ton of force on it and the rod didn't budge. That said, I am totally willing to have my horizons broadened.

Quote Originally Posted by drxlcarfreak View Post
    Yes, sorry I forget that not everyone knows what I have been going through and forget to mention everything. The machine was running fine for about 2 years, then all of a sudden I got a weird issue where starting the spindle would occasionally trigger a limit, if I jiggled the spindle cable it would work. I just assumed that the wire for the spindle was too close to the Z axis inductance sensor. Then one day no matter what I did I couldn't get the spindle to turn on at all without triggering a limit. The only way to get the spindle to run without tripping a limit was to unplug everything from the control box minus the spindle, but then again when I did that, it was running in limit override mode because the servos were showing as tripped, so it may very well have still been tripping a limit. It was mentioned on the UCCNC forum that the cheaper chinese VFDs main capacitors dry out quickly and increase the noise. Updating the software to get the debounce parameter fixed it, but I think it possibly has introduced other issues.

1. I do have dust collection, but with my issues, I use it very rarely, but, I will try grounding it to see if that helps with anything.

2. I am looking for a decent EMI filter. For a 2.2kw spindle, will a 20amp filter do? Doing a quick calc at single phase 220v, the max it will pull is 10amps, plus losses in the VFD.

3. I am using shielded and either 18/4 or 16/4 wire. Inside the case is a different story. For some stupid reason I stripped all of the wires to make it easier to terminate the wires so there isnt any shielded cables inside the case. I do plan to get clamp on ferrite rings to try and reduce the EMI in there as well. The grounding I will have to check, but I believe that I wired the ground to the spindle. and the other ground to the case.

4. Looking at the webpage I got them from (https://www.automationdirect.com/adc..._cables/evc179) again, it doesn't look like it is shielded. Would ferrite rings on either end help out here?

I only blame the VFD because it seemed to be the root of my other issues forcing me to update the software to an alpha release. Another problem I can think of is I put everything in one case and the breakout boards and directly above the VFD. When wiring it up, I had read to keep everything away from the power supply because it has noise, but heard nothing about a VFD until after everything was wired in. Would moving it out, or maybe adding sheet steel/aluminum between the top of the VFD and the control boards help keep noise separated?

Attachment 427482

If you think it is mechanical, what other items could it be? Losing steps I totally get in every direction, but gaining steps doesn't make sense to me, at least mechanically wise. The Z sort of made sense since if the coupler is slipping the weight on the acme thread just allows it to keep going into the board when the motor stops. I don't think it was slipping because before I welded the coupler to the rod I had the motor holding steady and used vice grips to try and make the rod slip, I put a ton of force on it and the rod didn't budge. That said, I am totally willing to have my horizons broadened.
    Yes you have a problem, the VFD Drive cable must be shielded all the way to the VFD Drive and the shield clamped to the metal case which would have a Ground connected, Twisting the wires can also help with noise, by your photo you have a lot of problems

Yes you could put a Aluminum cage around the electronics, it really is a big problem the way it is, the power supply will be nosy as well, you may be able to move the electronics into another smaller cabinet on top

Ferrite rings are not going to help with your cabinet layout

Your VFD will be drawing Double the Amps that the spindle max is so you need a 30A EMI filter
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Yes you have a problem, the VFD Drive cable must be shielded all the way to the VFD Drive and the shield clamped to the metal case which would have a Ground connected, Twisting the wires can also help with noise, by your photo you have a lot of problems

Yes you could put a Aluminum cage around the electronics, it really is a big problem the way it is, the power supply will be nosy as well, you may be able to move the electronics into another smaller cabinet on top

Ferrite rings are not going to help with your cabinet layout

Your VFD will be drawing Double the Amps that the spindle max is so you need a 30A EMI filter
    Ok, so:
    1. No ferrite rings
    2. 30A EMI filter
    3. Redo the VFD cable with shielded cable inside the cabinet.
    4. Faraday cage separating the top half from the bottom half of the electronics?
    5. Twist signal wires

Honestly, looking at the wiring, I may not have the case grounded at all. I will need to look at that.

I'd like to get away with not having to rewire the entire case if possible. This sounds hokey, but if I wrapped the bundle of signal wires running from the board to the quick disconnects in aluminum foil and somehow grounded it to the case, would that mimic shielded cables?