I have several temperature controlled Irons, They just don't put enough watts to the tip. Even my HAKKO does not work very well.

I have even purchased some of those so called all in one burners/solderng irons from Amazon, and returned them all. I have a couple normal woodburner irons, and they take forever to heat up and loose their heat quickly if you travel too fast. This is why most high quality pyrography pens are a power source and resistance wire tip.

That's not to say there is not an iron out there that would work, I just have not found one.

Here is a video I did 8 years ago using a wood burner iron.
https://youtu.be/zGkC9HWWykE

I want to experiment with other power sources and temperature control, but the issue is getting a thermocouple near the tip. I made the tip I am using here so it may be possible to form the very tip around a high temperature thermocouple.

In any case for consistent burns, you need to quickly turn on and off the heat as needed. I just got my pyro controller hooked up to the M3 relay on my machine and have started working on my Mach3 config and Vectric post processor.

You dont need to change much in the Mach3 config file. Just make sure the spindle delays are turned off. Most of the work will be done in the post processor.

You need to set an initial delay so that the tip and get up to temperature. In this case its 1000 degrees. In my case it takes about 45 seconds at 15 Amps. This is easy for most post processors.

The real magic comes in at the actual point where the tip is moving into position. In all Vectric CAM software this is in the NEW_SEGMENT block. In SheetCAM its in the Pen Down block.

You need a M5, Dwell, M3 sequence. The dwell will be the value that needs to be in sync with the plunge rate at clearance height of the tip. With these things controlled, you should be able to get a tip down and burning without the initial scorch. Real pyrographers (not me ) use the landing (ramping) technique to keep from getting the initial scorch.