588,617 active members*
4,668 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Curious how well yours machines parts? Depth of cut?, speeds, etc... in hindsite would you have gone bigger blocks knowing you machines dovetails anyways? I have the room for 30’s on my 833t but the Y axis ends up a little more complicated. To prevent travel loss I would need to run rail extension supports off the base of the casting otherwise it’s doable. My casting is worn already less than two years so I don’t care what I machine off as long as nothing thins out. Thinking 15’s or 30’s would prevent rigidity loss from the dovetails. Curious to hear or see a video link of your machine running. Fortunately I have a 20x40 bed mill I can easily machine up base and column. The other thing is an aluminum saddle seems like it may not be as rigid and dampening as using a cast iron block. Already spending the money what’s $200 more?

Quote Originally Posted by CS900 View Post
    Finally got the doors on the enclosure installed!

Also finally got the flood lights installed.

up next is to revisit the power drawbar. I think it's time to go hydraulic as I've had a few tools start to pull under heavy loading.

Re: PM45 mill upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by CS900 View Post
    Getting things dialed in a bit more...at the cost of my TAS rougher

Best i could do before it broke (my fault the tool started to pull out of the TTS) .7 DOC x .08 WOC @ 5000RPM and 75 IPM (4.2 MRR). It's looking my spindle motor is going to be the weak spot going forward.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhzqAOqFZpg
    the rails are not the limiting factor in any way. The rigidity of the column is the weak spot.

the saddle is more than sturdy enough being aluminum. Yeah i could have spent more money on a cast iron piece, but i'm not looking to hold tenths, nor is this mill capable of that. I can hold .001-.002 all day, which is more than adequate for anything I do.