587,089 active members*
3,045 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Ball screw support bearing questions. Are $420 bearings necessary on this machine?

Hybrid View

Re: Ball screw support bearing questions. Are $420 bearings necessary on this machine

I am not buying bearings from that website (it is way high on there), but I did get a better price from that same companies local location. That was mainly a link to show the bearing specs. The price I got quoted is $389.17 plus tax which comes to $419.28. However, still about $840 for two sets

My control (Mach 4 with Ethernet Smooth Stepper) does have backlash compensation, but the Y is .0030" or a bit over backlash and the X is .0014". I have never been content with this and had planned to see what I can do about it. Now that I have everything else done on the machine, I want to address this. I figure I might as well fix them both at the same time and get them as low as possible. From that point forward I will know the machine and what the best it can be is and how it lasts going forward.

The machine has ways, which appear to show no real wear that I can tell judging by the crosshatching on the sides. I did suspect the gibbs might be too tight also, but I checked them and even loose I can't budge it by hand without a bar to get it going I pulled the adjuster screws out to make sure there was no tension and moved the bed so the wedges came out some, so the pressure was low to none. It was still the same, so it is just hard to move by hand, and it is a heavy bed. Everything appears to be getting oiled nicely by the oiler. Even the X, which has lighter load on it, I could not budge by hand. However, they both move easily with the screw (twisting by hand). Overcoming the surface tension of the ways takes some force when not using a screw.

The places that rebuild ball screws say they can get them to zero backlash. They preload the balls in the size to make this happen, but they also check the nut and screw and grind if needed. My understanding is that the single nuts are actually spaced in a way that the balls are pushed in each direction internally, which kind of acts like a double nut except you can never adjust it out, you get what you get on the build and that is it. I figured if I ever run the machine enough after this to get backlash again, then I may look into a double nut setup if it will fit. I think there may be enough room. However, this would add a bigger expense right now and they claim they can get them to zero backlash.

I will still call around about the bearings though, thanks for the name of the business. I would kind of like to order them out of state and avoid the extra $60 in taxes if possible.

Ultimately I am going to buy good bearings, and if these are the one it takes, then I will just have to bite the bullet. I was kinda hoping these would be cheaper or there was an alternative just as good, but I want the machine to be as good as it can be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191103_195944.jpg   20191103_200717.jpg