587,913 active members*
3,681 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Hi THK, have you ever had to work in the tropical heat?
    In australia we are currently in a drought situation and the summer temps frequently reach 35 deg C.
    Too damm hot to work that hard, even if your life depended on it, which means using the brain instead of the brawn.
    The steam project is definately viable provided it can be brought together.
    AUBREY, the problem with piston and cylinder technology is lubrication of the piston and cylinder, and making sure when you have reciprocating masses that bits don't fly off.
    In 1910 the British admiralty under Lord Fischer changed over from triple expansion reciprocating engines to steam turbines to drive the Dreadnought type battleships.
    If you are going down this path, of steam production, then be aware that you will be producing steam at superheat temperatures and in rapid quantities that without carefull controls just becomes lethal.
    I think possibly a low pressure steam turbine would suit your needs and with only one working part becomes a simple mechanical device that could handle a fluctuating steam supply without blowing a gasket or seizing up due to lack of lube.
    Have you considered the other end of the energy spectrum, and that is to exploit the vast amounts of dung that african society generates with cattle, animals and humans being the main producers?
    Dung can be used to produce methane gas that would drive a conventional engine without modification and also be used for cooking etc.
    The women and children could collect the dung from around the living areas, so reducing the fly population etc, and minimising the need to cut wood.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hi THK, have you ever had to work in the tropical heat?......Too damm hot to work that hard....you will be producing steam at superheat temperatures and in rapid quantities that without carefull controls just becomes lethal.
    I have to admit that I never had the pleasure.

But it seems to me that these people are working for 6 hours in that heat carrying buckets of water anyway. Maybe its just me, but I'd prefer to stand in the shade of a tree or umbrella or whatever and slowly turn a handle instead of plonking back and forth carrying heavy buckets.....Maybe Im alone in this view?

Its not exactly 'work'. If geared up and attached to a 4ft diameter wheel the handle could turn really slow. You could even ditch the handle and use a set of bicycle pedals and chains instead so everyone could sit down and enjoy the nice weather.