588,534 active members*
8,631 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Centroid CNC Control Products > Delta VH 3600 to Centroid Acorn controller retrofit. HELP NEEDED

Hybrid View

Re: Delta VH 3600 to Centroid Acorn controller retrofit. HELP NEEDED

Quote Originally Posted by cncsnw View Post
    Is the spindle motor really a single-voltage 550VAC motor? If so, and if you are not in a Canadian industrial site or other location that has 600VAC service, you may have trouble powering it, whether with contactors or with a VFD.

To answer one of your questions in your pictures: the original control powered the spindle motor with a "reversing starter": a pair of three-phase contactors (heavy duty relays) plus an overload device. Those are 2/3 of the black things in the bottom right corner. The additional single (non-reversing) starter (contactor and overload) is probably for a three-phase flood coolant pump.

Is there a data plate on the old control cabinet that says what the service voltage was intended to be?
    Hi cncsnw,

yes it is indeed, and the machine is on Canadian industrial site that has 600V, it still works, the reason for the owner to decide to upgrade it is because the CRT was shot, but you could still jog it and all else, we couldn't start the motor only because we didn't see what we were doing.
    I would have to check once again, i think there is some kind of a tag.
    Ok, so say we have proper power for it, is there a way to start it with Acorn board, I would assume that it was using some kind of analog signal? What kind of modification would I have to do?

Re: Delta VH 3600 to Centroid Acorn controller retrofit. HELP NEEDED

Quote Originally Posted by specnaz View Post
    Hi cncsnw,

yes it is indeed, and the machine is on Canadian industrial site that has 600V, it still works, the reason for the owner to decide to upgrade it is because the CRT was shot, but you could still jog it and all else, we couldn't start the motor only because we didn't see what we were doing.
    I would have to check once again, i think there is some kind of a tag.
    Ok, so say we have proper power for it, is there a way to start it with Acorn board, I would assume that it was using some kind of analog signal? What kind of modification would I have to do?
    Just a relay between the Acorn and the spindle contactor will turn the spindle on you may even be able to turn it on buy direct connect to the contactor coil if it is low voltage which I doubt that it is so to start the spindle you just need to activate the contactor I did not see the VFD Drive

So if you have a VFD Drive then that is even easier to connect the Acorn too, you would use 2 Relays one for FWD and one for Reverse for On / Off for speed control you use the 0-10v Acorn output to the VFD speed control Terminals

Why ClearPath they are to expensive for what you get, DMM are a far better choice

DMM | AC SERVO DRIVE | AC SERVO MOTOR | ROTARY ENCODER
    Mactec54