587,964 active members*
3,205 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Does wiring for limit switches need to be shielded?

Hobby and industrial actually makes a huge difference. In a hobby environment you usually working in a garage with not many powerful machinery working around your little hobby machine.
    In industrial environments there are usually welding machines, plasmacutters, large lathes and mills switching tens and hundreds of ampers around causing lots of EMI.
    Which can cause noise issues to your little hobby machine in that noisy industrial environment.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    Hobby and industrial actually makes a huge difference. In a hobby environment you usually working in a garage with not many powerful machinery working around your little hobby machine.
    In industrial environments there are usually welding machines, plasmacutters, large lathes and mills switching tens and hundreds of ampers around causing lots of EMI.
    Which can cause noise issues to your little hobby machine in that noisy industrial environment.
    You live in a country that has EMI noise restrictions and all industries have to be compliant required by code, there should not be any difference in both environments if there is then you are not code compliant

Just learn how to wire your machines so there is no interference that can change the way it runs it's very easy to do, even in the industry with any amount of amps being switched should not affect any other machine on the same Mains supply, Noise is easy to fix if you know how and what to look for
    Mactec54

Seems to me that you have never worked in the industry. I live in Sweden where everything is regulated but noise does not care about the regulations.

Seems to me that you have never worked in the industry. I live in Sweden where everything is regulated but noise does not care about the regulations.
    You don't have a EMI noise problem if the whole electrical system is compliant that is what the regulations are for in your country which I already said

As for not working in the industry have been in the industry my whole life, I have my own Industrial machine shop as well, and other industrial property that I own in more than one country, even my Home workshop is up to industrial standards on a smaller scale which has Machining centers Mills and Lathes Surface Grinder Injection molding and fabrication and all types of welding I never have a noise problem on my 400Amp residential Home Power supply

An unusual snow fall we had showing part of my Homes 1.5 acres

Just some snips of my Home shop there is much more but I'm not one to brag enjoy
    Mactec54

The issue is that even in a country where everything like EMI emission is regulated people often do not care.
    You just start using a cheap chinese welding or plasma equipment and you can get noise issues.
    Like in this case the OP started using a chinese VFD and he is having noise problems.
    A quick fix could be to use the debounce filter in the UCCNC, but ofcourse filtering the noise is the best solution, just sometimes it is not easy.

The issue is that even in a country where everything like EMI emission is regulated people often do not care.
    You just start using a cheap chinese welding or plasma equipment and you can get noise issues.
    Like in this case the OP started using a chinese VFD and he is having noise problems.
    A quick fix could be to use the debounce filter in the UCCNC, but ofcourse filtering the noise is the best solution, just sometimes it is not easy.
    Using debounce has trade off and is just a band-aids for a real problem it does not matter what equipment you use or where it is from cheap or expensive correct wiring practices solve all these problems
    Mactec54