I have successfully installed all of the components for the X-Axis Motor Mount back to the mill during the last week. I'm happy to report that, after a couple of tries, that I have the backlash somewhere between 0.5 and 1.0 thou.

The pic below shows the correct order of the X-axis parts. John was correct in noting that anti-spin washer A goes between the nuts B and C. I had incorrectly shown the order of the two bearings (F and H )and the two spacers (E and G) in the original picture, even though my notes clearly showed the correct way and I had misread those notes.

Inner race spacer G goes on the end of the ballscrew. The end of the ballscrew is then placed through the motor mount before the inner bearing H, outer race spacer E, and outer bearing F are installed. I knew this to be the case and still installed the two bearings and spacer onto the ballscrew at first without having the ballscrew through the motor mount. Thanks goodness for 3-jaw bearing pullers.

Attachment 438306

I wasn't completely confident in the order that the components needed to be installed, so I took the opportunity to measure all the parts and then drew them up in Solidworks while everything was still in pieces. Good thing that I did because this is when I discovered that I had goofed up in the original picture on where the inner and outer spacers were located with respect to the two bearings. I modeled everything except the anti-spin nut A.

The measurements and subsequent 3D model illustrates the small gap between the Clamping Cover D and the motor mount casting that John mentioned above. The model even highlighted that the outer nut B would have only a very small amount of thread available on the ballscrew. I initially thought I had measured something wrong when this became apparent when drawing the model, but during assembly I found that the outer nut B really did have only about a thread or two to work with. I probably should have shaved a millimeter or two off of the inner spacer G so that the outer nut B would have more threads to work with, but I decided to skip it at this point.

Attachment 438320

Attachment 438322