587,624 active members*
3,219 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > International / Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand Club House > Looking for a laymans explanation of Chip Load and calculations.

Hybrid View

Re: Looking for a laymans explanation of Chip Load and calculations.

I'm not expert, but my understanding is that one is trying to achieve a particular 'chip load' when calculating feeds and speeds.
    Everything revolves around that. Changing from the 2 flute cutter to a 3 flute cutter means the feed and/or speed of the tool will need to change in order to maiantain the chip load.

Chip load important as too fast and your tool will bend and break......too slow the the tool will 'rub' and overheat.....

With Aluminium it appears to be more important as the chip size helps with removing heat from the tool and job.

You need to use 2 formulas. Sutton has a good explanation. ( I'm at work so don't have access to that info.)

Its a bit tricky to get your head around if your not a 'machinist', like me. I'm into electrons....

Re: Looking for a laymans explanation of Chip Load and calculations.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterob View Post
    I'm not expert, but my understanding is that one is trying to achieve a particular 'chip load' when calculating feeds and speeds.
    Everything revolves around that. Changing from the 2 flute cutter to a 3 flute cutter means the feed and/or speed of the tool will need to change in order to maiantain the chip load.

Chip load important as too fast and your tool will bend and break......too slow the the tool will 'rub' and overheat.....

With Aluminium it appears to be more important as the chip size helps with removing heat from the tool and job.

You need to use 2 formulas. Sutton has a good explanation. ( I'm at work so don't have access to that info.)

Its a bit tricky to get your head around if your not a 'machinist', like me. I'm into electrons....

Hey Sterob,

Thanks for the input, Ill have a google for Sutton and see what that reveals for me.

Well you seem to have a better understanding than I..

Cheers,
    Steve