Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
Hi,

I paid $450USD (excluding shipping) for 750W B2 series serovs, drives and cables, that is with a 160,000 count per rev encoder.
I did not know at that time about the dual encoder reading feature of the A2 series (1,280,000 count per rev encoder), and had I done so I would
have bought them instead as they are only $500USD (excluding shipping) for 750W servo, drive and cables.

So the dual reading feature can be had for only really a small amount extra.

I use an Ethernet SmoothStepper which is a non-feedback step/direction controller and I could not use the traditional scheme that you outline,
namely the linear scale loop is closed by the controller not the drive.

This is an example of my obersvation that 'servos are becoming ever more sophisticated such that CNCmotion controllers are shedding functions
which are now performed by the servo drive'. The ultimate is distributed motion control like EtherCAT, each servo drive becomes its own motion controller
so the PC is the trajectory planner only, it has no need of a motion control.

Craig
These features can't be working very well as there are no CNC Manufacturers using it in the drive only, they have duel encoder feed back but are all closing the loop in the control

Yes I have been using EtherCat and fiber optics since 1999 with my CNC Controls

When you close the loop in the control Both Encoders are controlled not just the linear scale

You will find if you buy from delta direct, drive and motor you won't have much change out of around $1200 the Chinese made are cheap but not all are created equal