Quote Originally Posted by Jim27 View Post
........................ Wanted at least 12" of Y travel so that fits the bill. ................................................ what would you consider a fair price? ................................................ How hard is it to take the head and other large parts off to make some easier to handle pieces?
That's a SM-1 ( ie Small Mill) which was the predecessor to the KM series ( ie Knee Mill) and dates around 1980 ( KM starts 1985 ?)
They are physically very close with 13 "Y and 24 " X ~ travel and the spindle would be a Kwik Switch 200 series I believe.
Yes it weighs about 3500 pounds or more. and the Iron is pretty much the same, it's the control that was really upgraded to Ultimax
When I bought my KM 3 , it would not fit in the shop door so I removed the Ram and the Table. Using a fork lift with a pallet , I approached the front of the mill with the raised pallet and extended the ram onto the pallet . Be prepared to disconnect Lube Lines,Air Lines and Electrical lines that are inside the Ram ! They need to be cut or disconnected. ( get some 4 mm Tygon tubing connectors ) . To remove the table , remove the servo and fasten it to the column, then remove the bearings caps , and slide the table off -Leave the ballscrew - its easy to spin it L or R to be out of the way . To remove it , you must also remove the Y axis because of the Nuts , otherwise you will damage the Y axis.
To move it around the shop, I had a 6,000 # pallet jack. A 4,000 # jack was too small and unsteady
The base of the column has a coolant pit and pump. Be careful cleaning it out- bacteria growth in a dormant mill is deadly - I know the hard way
Rich