Hi Mike - CAD is the steepest learning curve. CAM is linear you do this then this then this then you get a NC file and load it into say UCCNC. I use UCCNC and have played with "open builds" CONTROL which is free and interfaces with blackbox. I was going to use blackbox on the next little machine I make to give it a go...So people I have taught to run my router get through the CAM part real quick.

https://www.makerstore.com.au/product/elec-ob-bbmcs/ In Melbourne...Both are good. UCCNC is a bit more expensive and feels like a professional controller whereas open is a bit more basic but does get the machine working.

But learners get stuck in CAD, its not linear and there is so much to learn and understand. So use say Fusion360 or buy rhino3d or try Freecad. You have to persist as any CNC machine needs a CAD file to start. So research and learn about CNC and persist until you can design things and create an NC file. You can simulate the NC in camotics (free NC simulation software) so you know it will run, then you can move onto designing and building your machine. I'm in NSW near QLD border.. your in good hands in this forum...

Cheers Peter

I've attached something I wrote about the process for someone, may help. Its not the full story its sort of the first chapter in CAD/CAM/CNC to swarf