587,756 active members*
3,210 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Giday mates

This 'downunder' forum is a great idea which should lead to some cool DIY machines in the land of OZ and NZ.

Let me introduce myself.

But before I do I would like to apologise in advance if I carry on too much, its just that CNC machines' are my life, I live and breath them. CNCzone has been a godsend as it has shown me that I'm not alone.

I am lucky enough (or unlucky, sometimes I ask myself what did I do wrong to get here) to work in the industry. I am a CNC service engineer for a local CNC machine tool manufacturer.

I know what your thinking, do we make CNC machines in OZ? Yes we do and they are without doubt the best of their kind in the world. Something that we are very proud of.

I service all aspects of the machine from software to electronics to motors to ballscrews to rails to anything.

When I'm not 'on the road' I'm either repairing the CNC's or servo drives or and other electrical/electronic components or providing technical support for customers or service engineers in far of lands.

I am in the very fortunate position to be able to gather unused/scrapped part to begin my own project.

My plans are for a 4 x 4 foot (sorry I should speak metric) 1200x1200mm router. the Z axis will have 305mm clearance under the gantry. Work on the metal from should start in a few weeks if I'm not sent off to some exotic land to fix another machine.

I'm using a full industrial control with servo drives and an operators panel with MPG and feedrate override pots.

I hope to start its own thread so everyone can enjoy it.
    Although I don't really know if its going to fit the 'home made' credentials.

Anyway I've gone on for too long and I've only just started. I could talk CNC machines all night.

I look forward to hearing from any and all from downunder.

oh, I almost forgot, I'm located in Melbourne.

Thanx

Boros

Hey Boros,

How is it to work on cnc stuff?
    I have been fixing spa's for a while. I am near canberra. I have built a couple of machines and am thinking about unpacking and reactivating them. Now that the shed is allmost built.

Love to chin wag if you get out this way.

Is there anybody in canberra that has a mill set up that could route pc boards?

Thanks

aussiegeorge
    04 1946 1897

Hi all, first post

Based in the suburb of Preston in Victoria, don't really know much about cnc, came across this website via another forum and a post by another Aussie member crocky. I have spent the last 3 days reading everything I can find on the forum, and I am really blown away and what people are doing.

Still trying to get my head around how everything comes together. But I am already starting to formulate a plan on building my own cnc router.

I have fully equipped woodworking workshop and a small metal lathe so I should be well equipped to tackle a project like this.

I have never even seen a cnc router in the flesh, so if there is anyone else in my area I'd love to check one out.

PS I apologize in advance for any newbie dumb questions I ask, lol.

thanks

joez71