587,694 active members*
3,651 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Adding a 4th Axis to the Oi Mate MC Control

Hybrid View

Re: Adding a 4th Axis to the Oi Mate MC Control

0i-Mates don't support the 4th axis option. That's a lower end control. You will have to upgrade to an non mate 0i. Set the number of axes to be controlled by using parameter No. 8130. It will only allow you to turn on the number of axis that the controller will support.

Quote Originally Posted by drdos View Post
    0i-Mates don't support the 4th axis option. That's a lower end control. You will have to upgrade to an non mate 0i. Set the number of axes to be controlled by using parameter No. 8130. It will only allow you to turn on the number of axis that the controller will support.
    That's what I'm inclined to think too, but I've seen a few people online with a 4th using this control. I'd love to just get the non-mate control since it would just be a grand or two, but obviously getting it hooked up and configured would probably be a nightmare.

I'm waiting to hear back more info from Sharp on the matter so maybe after the holiday weekend I'll get more answers. I know at the very least this control can index in 4th with m codes

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWeber View Post
    That's what I'm inclined to think too, but I've seen a few people online with a 4th using this control. I'd love to just get the non-mate control since it would just be a grand or two, but obviously getting it hooked up and configured would probably be a nightmare.

I'm waiting to hear back more info from Sharp on the matter so maybe after the holiday weekend I'll get more answers. I know at the very least this control can index in 4th with m codes
    If you cannot get full 4th axis. Other options are use a Beta I/O link drive to control a rotary table. Or tsudacoma external axis controller.

Quote Originally Posted by bill4807 View Post
    If you cannot get full 4th axis. Other options are use a Beta I/O link drive to control a rotary table. Or tsudacoma external axis controller.
    That's precisely what I wanted to try and do, but the optic cable from the beta I/O link would have to plug into a spare optic port on my main servo/PSU drive which only has one optic port (being used by the 3 axes)

Would be nice if I could swap out the logic board for one that has it, but I'm sure there's no way that would work either.

That's precisely what I wanted to try and do, but the optic cable from the beta I/O link would have to plug into a spare optic port on my main servo/PSU drive which only has one optic port (being used by the 3 axes)

Would be nice if I could swap out the logic board for one that has it, but I'm sure there's no way that would work either.
    An i/o link drive does not use FSSB/fiber optic.
    It communicates using I/O link. So it would be hooked to your fanuc I/O string.
    Of course custom logic would need to be written.
    The easier way would be to use a tsudacoma package, and control it through m-codes for indexing or RS232 for table execution.

Quote Originally Posted by bill4807 View Post
    An i/o link drive does not use FSSB/fiber optic.
    It communicates using I/O link. So it would be hooked to your fanuc I/O string.
    Of course custom logic would need to be written.
    The easier way would be to use a tsudacoma package, and control it through m-codes for indexing or RS232 for table execution.
    Interesting. Shows how little I know about this. I would definitely be interested in adding an I/O link drive. Hell, I'd even enjoy building my own rotary using a fanuc servo and off the shelf gearbox if that wasn't too crazy of an adventure. I've seen a few guys do that on YouTube with decent results. I think I'd just have to calibrate it to match the positioning after the gear reduction.

Interesting. Shows how little I know about this. I would definitely be interested in adding an I/O link drive. Hell, I'd even enjoy building my own rotary using a fanuc servo and off the shelf gearbox if that wasn't too crazy of an adventure. I've seen a few guys do that on YouTube with decent results. I think I'd just have to calibrate it to match the positioning after the gear reduction.
    Yeah that seems like an adventure.
    But could be done cheaper than a rotary, tailstock, and base plate from a known supplier.
    If you do that you should build some type of pneumatic table lock as well.