587,700 active members*
4,635 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Adding a 4th Axis to the Oi Mate MC Control

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWeber View Post
    Interesting. Shows how little I know about this. I would definitely be interested in adding an I/O link drive. Hell, I'd even enjoy building my own rotary using a fanuc servo and off the shelf gearbox if that wasn't too crazy of an adventure. I've seen a few guys do that on YouTube with decent results. I think I'd just have to calibrate it to match the positioning after the gear reduction.
    Yeah that seems like an adventure.
    But could be done cheaper than a rotary, tailstock, and base plate from a known supplier.
    If you do that you should build some type of pneumatic table lock as well.

Re: Adding a 4th Axis to the Oi Mate MC Control

Quote Originally Posted by bill4807 View Post
    Yeah that seems like an adventure.
    But could be done cheaper than a rotary, tailstock, and base plate from a known supplier.
    If you do that you should build some type of pneumatic table lock as well.
    If you have any more information about hooking up an I/O link I'd like to know more about doing it. Are there any resources for this kind of stuff? I guess just the manuals for the drive I suppose.

there is also an option to hook up the beta I/O LINK,need to check that first,if you have it activated .i am just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by zavateandu View Post
    there is also an option to hook up the beta I/O LINK,need to check that first,if you have it activated .i am just saying...
    Do you have any experience with beta I/O links? I would love to keep it simple with that if possible. So I just get the drive and connect it to the I/O on the control and im good to go? Match it with an appropriately sized beta servo? Sounds great. I guess the devil is in the details because the Galil controller seems to be well supported with software and PC interfacing, automatic tuning etc. What am I going to run into if I end up going with the all-Fanuc setup?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWeber View Post
    Do you have any experience with beta I/O links? I would love to keep it simple with that if possible. So I just get the drive and connect it to the I/O on the control and im good to go? Match it with an appropriately sized beta servo? Sounds great. I guess the devil is in the details because the Galil controller seems to be well supported with software and PC interfacing, automatic tuning etc. What am I going to run into if I end up going with the all-Fanuc setup?
    I do not know about galil.
    But i was just making suggestions on how you could get a 4th axis. If you are looking for a DIY or do not have extensive fanuc knowledge and plc advanced programming skills i would not tackle the beta drive option. This an integrator could guide you through. Because you may buy all hardward and be at a standstill.

The tsudacoma TPC jr. Controller i would suspect could be an option, not knowing your price range.

This is what adding an I/O link would look like on my Oi Mate MC control. Bill you're right though... its super tempting to hook one of these units up, but it would probably take weeks to get it running correctly. I've been speaking with fanuc about it and we'll see how far I can get before they shut me down and start asking for $$$ for the real answers