587,913 active members*
3,601 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Looking for some input to my design.

Hi Phil - Why double belts? a 25mm belt is a strong stiff belt. Plasmas have no contact loads so a 25mm belt is more than adequate? Plus one will be slightly different to the other and they will conflict in some way.

Add up your cost for the V bearing set up, you may find round rails are cheaper and more reliable once you add in all the bits to get a V bearing system working....I usually model a belt without the teeth so its simpler and initially in two overlapping (like two U's) halves. In this way when you change the centres the "belt" changes with it. Once you nail down the design then you can convert to a "single belt" if you wish... what CAD are you using? cheers Peter

Re: Looking for some input to my design.

Apparently my belt idea is already patented. The double belt makes it more protected and easier to mount. I drew the table fairly quickly in Sketchup. It's such a simple program it gets on my nerves sometimes, but it's all I have on my home computer. I'll probably pay for a Fusion360 license soon.

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Phil - Why double belts? a 25mm belt is a strong stiff belt. Plasmas have no contact loads so a 25mm belt is more than adequate? Plus one will be slightly different to the other and they will conflict in some way.

Add up your cost for the V bearing set up, you may find round rails are cheaper and more reliable once you add in all the bits to get a V bearing system working....I usually model a belt without the teeth so its simpler and initially in two overlapping (like two U's) halves. In this way when you change the centres the "belt" changes with it. Once you nail down the design then you can convert to a "single belt" if you wish... what CAD are you using? cheers Peter