588,531 active members*
9,076 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > G-Code Programing > Why does this program make the machine crash? - with video

Hybrid View

Re: Why does this program make the machine crash? - with video

OK, So I did another experiment today. This time I setup a proper tool offset and set the work offset to a real location. The result was exactly the same, the arc does not go as expected.

What I have managed to prove I think is that the arc center is not taking the tool length compensation into account. The arc Z center is always at work offset Z - radius. This suggests that K is absolute. But even absolute should use tool height compensation? Also, I did a test and proved that I and J are incremental. I also found a printout from factory of all the machine parameters and checked they are as per factory.

I have prepared a better example program and a drawing showing what happens. Maybe this will better help people understand what I am seeing. See attached picture and pdf for higher resolution.

I did not run this program on the machine, just on the controllers tool path simulator, but I know from experience it will make it go bang! I suspect the bang is caused when it tries to perform an arc that does not lie on both the start and end points. The simulation shows the arc start point disconnected from machines current position. In practice the machine starts moving from its actual position then sometime later packs a sad.

Quote Originally Posted by ashes-man View Post
    OK, So I did another experiment today. This time I setup a proper tool offset and set the work offset to a real location. The result was exactly the same, the arc does not go as expected.

What I have managed to prove I think is that the arc center is not taking the tool length compensation into account. The arc Z center is always at work offset Z - radius. This suggests that K is absolute. But even absolute should use tool height compensation? Also, I did a test and proved that I and J are incremental. I also found a printout from factory of all the machine parameters and checked they are as per factory.

I have prepared a better example program and a drawing showing what happens. Maybe this will better help people understand what I am seeing. See attached picture and pdf for higher resolution.

I did not run this program on the machine, just on the controllers tool path simulator, but I know from experience it will make it go bang! I suspect the bang is caused when it tries to perform an arc that does not lie on both the start and end points. The simulation shows the arc start point disconnected from machines current position. In practice the machine starts moving from its actual position then sometime later packs a sad.
    Now you have it set up basically how it should be, try this I'm not sure what your radius ( R ) is but change it to suit what you need

Your first X Y move into position also needs to be used with a G17 you have G17 active so nothing to worry about

G18G3X50.Z-50.R50.F175.
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Now you have it set up basically how it should be, try this I'm not sure what your radius ( R ) is but change it to suit what you need

Your first X Y move into position also needs to be used with a G17 you have G17 active so nothing to worry about

G18G3X50.Z-50.R50.F175.
    Thanks for the idea. I have tried radius instead of ijk but got exactly the same behavior. I also tried with a feed rate too. Nothing I try changes anything, I am going mad!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ashes-man View Post
    Thanks for the idea. I have tried radius instead of ijk but got exactly the same behavior. I also tried with a feed rate too. Nothing I try changes anything, I am going mad!!!
    Another thing to try that you have not tried

If your tool is Z0 on the top of the part then the program should be like this

G18G3X50.Z0.R50.F100.

G2 if you are going clockwise G17
    G3 if you are going anti clockwise G17

Depending on how it is used through the X axis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G17 G18 G19 X Y Z.PNG  
    Mactec54