Autodesk had a similar problem with REVIT this summer for similar issues resulting in an uproar in the architecture community. So this is their current strategy. Free samples, Build a market, exploit it until it evaporates, change the rules, kill product, repeat. This is the same strategy used to market methamphetamines or crack cocaine. Of course, no company is going to rush out with a FREE cad/cam program but this behavior does leave a wide opening for Dassault and other companies with long range ambitions and a reputation for truthfulness. This year AD is targeting hobby folks, next year it will work up the food chain where the score can really change. Plus, they get multiple bites as they push folks higher and higher up in cost tiers......AD should hope this mess with paying customers doesn't get enough press to get a large tech company (Tesla, Google, etc) interested in their market.

More importantly, does Tormach, Prusa, Makerbot, etc read these posts? I'm wondering if these folks have even more to lose and more importantly when will they come up with a bulk license or brand specific license like Tormach has with Sprut? I would see these and further changes are a threat to them. Of course, they would be smart not to negotiate with AD, since they have proven to be a slippery target. This is where Solidworks and other professional platforms could gain market share with real organic growth and limited investment. I'm sure that as a hobbiest, I would be happy with a 3 or 5 year old obsolete version of a professional package, especially if it didn't involve monthly "upgrades" and resultant learning curve. In the case of Tormach it would be simple to limit their product to toolpaths of a certain horsepower or work envelope.

I suppose there are 10-100 times more 3d printers sold than cnc machines, when does AD do the math on that? Give it to the kids and the military. It worked for big tobacco.