587,751 active members*
2,888 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Auto Tool Changer > I built my own ATC Tool Carousel, would anyone be interested in me open sourcing it?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Well Done the manufacture of the carousel most likely is not a problem for most that are into machine building, the synchronization software macro is what most would struggle with, the tool setter would have to be a lot faster or did you have that part slowed down

How is Mach4 working out
    Oh, gosh. Slowed way down but my machine isn't fast to start with. The servo can tear that worm drive up pretty quickly too. That is the little NEMA 23 from Teknic.

Mach4 is pretty I guess but is has some terrible "gotchas" that can break things.

I would never, ever, not in a million years use Lua to control a machine that could mame, injure or kill someone. Probably the dumbest thing I have seen in my 35 years in the industry. But I am stuck with it until I can get the money up to replace it.

I have tried to get the owners of Mach4 to give me a developers seat so I can do this in C/C++ but they never answer my inquiries.

If I were to buy my machine today I would leave off the Warp9 ESS, and everything associated with it. I would use LinuxCNC instead.

Re: I built my own ATC Tool Carousel, would anyone be interested in me open sourcing

Quote Originally Posted by subnoize View Post
    Oh, gosh. Slowed way down but my machine isn't fast to start with. The servo can tear that worm drive up pretty quickly too. That is the little NEMA 23 from Teknic.

Mach4 is pretty I guess but is has some terrible "gotchas" that can break things.

I would never, ever, not in a million years use Lua to control a machine that could mame, injure or kill someone. Probably the dumbest thing I have seen in my 35 years in the industry. But I am stuck with it until I can get the money up to replace it.

I have tried to get the owners of Mach4 to give me a developers seat so I can do this in C/C++ but they never answer my inquiries.

If I were to buy my machine today I would leave off the Warp9 ESS, and everything associated with it. I would use LinuxCNC instead.
    Mach4 was originally Linux based and they scraped it and went Lua for some reason

Linuxcnc is Ok but not for everyone, Eding CNC has one of the best controls and also Centroid is on the same level

I think you should sell drawing for your ATC as a lot would build it that have the need
    Mactec54

Re: I built my own ATC Tool Carousel, would anyone be interested in me open sourcing

Mach4 was originally Linux based and they scraped it and went Lua for some reason
    Not sure I understand. Linux is an operating system, Lua is a programming language. You can’t substitute one for the other.

I agree that selling plans is probably the better way to go.

Cheers

Peter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by phomann View Post
    Not sure I understand. Linux is an operating system, Lua is a programming language. You can’t substitute one for the other.

I agree that selling plans is probably the better way to go.

Cheers

Peter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It was not programed in Lua originally and it was running on Linux and windows
    Mactec54

It was not programed in Lua originally and it was running on Linux and windows
    I wouldn't be surprised. I get the feeling the company isn't owned by a software developer. It was like they hired somebody to write Mach4.

I also (with my 35 years of intuition) think who the guy they hired quit on them. The person they brought in to finish the software has a clashing style so you can feel where the one guy left off and the other guy started.

Anyways, I have made huge progress in stability and safety for the system under Mach4. I will check into the other software because this tooling system will work with all DIY CNC machines.

Quote Originally Posted by subnoize View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised. I get the feeling the company isn't owned by a software developer. It was like they hired somebody to write Mach4.

I also (with my 35 years of intuition) think who the guy they hired quit on them. The person they brought in to finish the software has a clashing style so you can feel where the one guy left off and the other guy started.

Anyways, I have made huge progress in stability and safety for the system under Mach4. I will check into the other software because this tooling system will work with all DIY CNC machines.
    Good to know what you found with the software

That may be correct, I have met all the guys involved with Mach4 and I don't think anyone had left or quit, but who knows that could of happened, one of the main software guys used to work for Galil hence the plugin for Galil
    Mactec54