587,693 active members*
3,684 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Anyone ever seen a R8 collet ground this way?

Hybrid View

Re: Anyone ever seen a R8 collet ground this way?

Put it in the machine and see if it works. There's no reason why it wouldn't and the time you've spent being spooked out was simply wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    Put it in the machine and see if it works. There's no reason why it wouldn't and the time you've spent being spooked out was simply wasted.
    That's what I've been thinking . There is plenty of contact surface , it'll eventually be an out of sight out of mind type of thing

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    Well as I mentioned that the flats on the taper were not the only disconcerting issues. None of these individual issues are critical but all together this is not what I expect when I buy a NEW "Ultra Precision R8 collet". Yes, I'm aware were talking expectations again The initial impression was that the surface was bone dry (no packaging oil of any kind) and dull as though it had been exposed to the air for some time. I've taken a few more photos for your enjoyment. The first is a better photo of the flats which I now believe to be ok:

Attachment 450274

The edge appears to be rather pitted but this is below the ground surface so shouldn't be an issue. A small degree of pitting is evident on all surfaces.

At the other end there's some kind of rework. I'm not sure at what point in the production this was actually done:

Attachment 450276

The slot has been milled out again after the "brass colored filler" was added. Here's a closeup:

Attachment 450278

The slot is generally dirty and there are remnants of a red substance. I can't decide whether this is paint (as used on many castings) or some form of anti-seize which would imply the collet has already seen some use. I don't want to remove it in case I return it.

The threaded end looks fairly used - bear in mind this was sold as new.

Attachment 450280

There's also a chip wedged inside a slot - yes I know I can pick it out! Was this from the production or from subsequent use?

Attachment 450284

A view up the business end inside the collet looking at the start of the thread from the inside. The threads are pitted (not shown) and while the face is irrelevant it shows some damage and general rust.

Attachment 450282

I don't know how high your standards are, but this isn't up to mine.

Step