588,690 active members*
6,089 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > RF-45 Clone Mill > eBay 3 axis axis servo motor/driver package questions

Hybrid View

Re: eBay 3 axis axis servo motor/driver package questions

Your power supply will has 2 outputs at ~72VDC each, look at the wiring diagram that came with it. Each output has a terminal block for convenience so you can easily connect direct from those terminals to your stepper drivers, and put a fuse inline. Also - those automotive fuses are not rated for 70VDC, if you do blow one up it may cause a different fault (fire!) that is as bad or worse than what you were trying to prevent in the first place. Use a simple 1/4" ACG fuse holders (available as inline, panel mount or stand alone bolt down) and then you can select the appropriate fuse for the drives
    Also, why do you need handwheels on a cnc machine - especially handwheels that won't have graduations for travel?

Quote Originally Posted by ninefinger View Post
    Your power supply will has 2 outputs at ~72VDC each, look at the wiring diagram that came with it. Each output has a terminal block for convenience so you can easily connect direct from those terminals to your stepper drivers, and put a fuse inline. Also - those automotive fuses are not rated for 70VDC, if you do blow one up it may cause a different fault (fire!) that is as bad or worse than what you were trying to prevent in the first place. Use a simple 1/4" ACG fuse holders (available as inline, panel mount or stand alone bolt down) and then you can select the appropriate fuse for the drives
    Also, why do you need handwheels on a cnc machine - especially handwheels that won't have graduations for travel?
    Yeah, it does have two outputs, I guess I meant the terminal blocks had a total of 4, two on each one, so do I just put two steppers on one output, and the 3rd on the second one. Both output 1 and 2 can be wired in series for double voltage or in parallel for double current, pretty sure I don’t need to do this, but I should ask..
    the downloads section at automation tech, where I bought the psu from are not working at the moment, so schematics and specs are not available right now other than a stick that came on the box showing how to wire up the main 110/220 input, but I have antek which I believe makes them for AutoTech.
    I didn’t think those fuses would be correct, I’ll get some inline holders for acg fuses, my steppers are rated for 6.2A so I guess I’ll start with 5A fuses, until I can get an idea what all I will need to put it all together with din rail terminal blocks and fuse holders. As for the hand wheels, they do have graduated dials, I also have a dro that will stay on in the mean time, atleast until the mill is up and running and I am comfortable using it in cnc mode. Should make quick drilling, or simple milling ops easier/quicker using the hand wheels and quill without having to boot a computer.
    which brings me to my next question, I have a windows xp computer, that was very expensive back in the day, it has a parallel port(which I don’t need), and Ethernet, as well as a decent graphics card, I also have a cheapo but newer, windows 7 and a windows vista computer, any reason to use one over the other? My main computer is a MacBook, but it’s only got thunderbolt? Ports. I plan to use fusion for all the cad, and I will probably use it for cam as well, then I think I will go with Mach3, especially now that I know I can run a free trial version to make sure it works well.