587,832 active members*
3,601 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Dyna Mechtronics > "Project Second Wind" New to me DM1007

Hybrid View

Re: "Project Second Wind" New to me DM1007

So after some great info from Roberto from Dyna I was able to diagnose my issues to a bad AMC servo driver. Apparently you should always have a red led on the drives status light until the PLC commands the spindle on then it turns green. This is different then the axis drives which remain green always after initialized. I would only get the red light about 5% of the time. I found the exact part number on Ebay and when I searched the history to see what the average price I couldn't find one that sold in the last few years. I took this a sign and bought it, I probably paid way to much but it comes with a 1 year warranty so whatever. I might be at my limit for replacing electronics I'm not going to throw thousands of dollars at an antiquated system. The motors run so quiet and smooth it would be a shame to replace them, that and how good everyone says the control is the only think keeping me motivated to revive it.

Once I got the new drive I had to match the dip switches and remove a zero ohm resistor at location J1. This changes the inhibit configuration. There is also 4 pots that Roberto said where set at the factory so I didn't bother with them. I'm just gambling they didn't get adjusted from the previous owner.

Sucess!!! once I got the new drive installed everything homed and zeroed like it should no errors. I now had full control of the spindle could run programs and the ATC even works!

Now that I have motion the next step is figure out the auto lube system. I noticed that all the ways are pretty dry I had excess oil in the bottom of the Y ball screw casting valley. Unfortunately this means taking most of the machine apart. I'm kind of glad I did I found some dried oil that was plugging some oil passages in the Gibs and other areas. The system could use a good cleaning and evaluation anyways. I was pleased to find all the surfaces still had the flaking marks so it looks like that machine had very little use. The Y ball screw has a little play in in compared to the X, I'm regretting I didn't check the back lash before I took things apart. This would have been a great time to replace it if need be. Anyone know what the acceptable back lash should be? Also do you think this control has compensation that can be adjusted?

I also took the down time opportunity and took the hard drive out and imaged it for a back up. The image was a whopping 18mb and looks like it runs on Dos6. I bought a IDE to SD card adapter and plan on running the OS off the flash drive. This will also allow me to load G-Code on to the root of the flash drive and bypass the floppy.

Quote Originally Posted by funford View Post
    The Y ball screw has a little play in in compared to the X, I'm regretting I didn't check the back lash before I took things apart. This would have been a great time to replace it if need be. Anyone know what the acceptable back lash should be? Also do you think this control has compensation that can be adjusted?
    Yes, there is a parameter to set backlash comp for every axis, I think under the system params menu.

Quote Originally Posted by funford View Post
    I also took the down time opportunity and took the hard drive out and imaged it for a back up. The image was a whopping 18mb and looks like it runs on Dos6. I bought a IDE to SD card adapter and plan on running the OS off the flash drive. This will also allow me to load G-Code on to the root of the flash drive and bypass the floppy.
    I would strongly recommend against this. Not only is constantly removing/reattaching your operating system a terrible idea for data security (even if you have a backup of the OS, do you really want to risk losing all your WCS offsets, tool table, and local edits to your programs?), it would also be exceptionally annoying just from a day-to-day usability perspective. It means you would have to shut the machine down every time you want to upload a new program, which might mean shutting the machine down for just a very minor change, and having to re-home the machine on startup.

Replacing the HDD with some form of solid state media is very advisable, I have done it using a PATA DOM unit, which is basically plug and play. Taking a backup of your OS is also incredibly sensible. But my suggestion is to buy and install one of the GOTEK floppy to USB drive adapters and replace the floppy drive with that, then use it for your day-to-day file upload/download use.

hi guys i am try to replace that unit
    floppy drive for usb floppy emulator, i was reading about that but i do not witch model i need to buy, do you know witch one.

thank you fir your comments

Quote Originally Posted by Damonmor View Post
    hi guys i am try to replace that unit
    floppy drive for usb floppy emulator, i was reading about that but i do not witch model i need to buy, do you know witch one.

thank you fir your comments
    This is the one I used. It worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/Gotek-SFR1M44.../dp/B0762NCHC6