587,307 active members*
3,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC "do-it-yourself" > Catahoula's router/mill build - welded steel with EG

Hybrid View

Re: Catahoula's router/mill build - welded steel with EG

Excellent work Catahoula - Really interested in your machine stiffness when its done. What modulus are you using for the EG? I'd be interested in knowing the FE static stiffness with and without EG....Peter

Re: Catahoula's router/mill build - welded steel with EG

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    What modulus are you using for the EG?
    I went to double check this and turns out I had mixed up the material properties from another model and was actually using the value for granite, so 55 GPa, which is definitely too much. I just re-ran it at 20 GPa and found 6.9 um deflection at 300N with the EG fill in the gantry, and 7.8 um /300N without. So 43 N/um with and 38 N/um without, a difference but not massive. That's just for the gantry tube, I was still using EG fill in the base frame and gantry supports. So maybe another 1 um deflection with those unfilled too.

The reason these values are lower than what I quoted above is that I've messed about with the model and didn't have the Z-axis box in place, this was just with the spindle mounted on a 35mm thick aluminum plate which has a bit of cantilever to it. So with the Z boxed up it'll be back up to 50-60 N/um in FEA. It'll be a few months before I can attempt to compare this to real measurements.

All in all it shows how difficult it is to get a gantry machine much beyond 50-60 N/um. The best results I've been able to get utilized a custom machined spindle mount that also served as the spindle mounting plate, so it was basically a solid block of aluminum 125mm x 125mm x 350mm bored down the middle to accept the spindle. Inspired by the Datron Neo spindle housing- they must be doing something similar to that. That made a big difference in managing the cantilever and stiffness issues with shimming tramming plates, but that's quite the machining project so I'll only tackle that it if I really need to. Of course, this difficultly is mostly because I'm set on having close to 200mm Z work envelope. If you drop the Z height to 125mm things get massively easier, because most of the cantilever can be taken up by the spindle itself. For my application I could actually be OK with that, but I still want the workholding flexibility of being able to mount a standard 75-100mm vise when necessary, and still have a bit of travel to work with.

Edit to add: I found this example of modulus (https://www.basetek.com/zanite-plus-polymer-composite), so de-rated a bit from 32 to 20 GPa for good measure. Just an approximate guess tho