Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
My method is when an E-stop is issued, a stop is commanded to the VFD If the VFD is already at zero, the disconnect contactor is activated, IF the VFD is in run, it waits for the motor to be at zero before disconnect.
This method satisfies your concern about removing the power when the VFD is running, this also conforms to NFPA79 category 1 E-Stop, i.e. A controlled stop, removal of power when machine devices have stopped where damage can occur to machine if power is removed immediately.

Unfortunately this does not satisfy safety regulations as it applies to an Emergency stop, where it is stated that "removal of the device power shall be achieved"

.This reveals an issue that occurs with forums such as this that deal with assistance and advice to those that often have no formal training in the subject matter and where strict guide lines have been laid out generally for safety reasons.
I feel it is incumbent of any advice I offer to fall within those guide lines and then it is up to the recipient of the advice as to whether he accepts it or not.
I agree with what you are saying which is in this case to comply with Electrical safety regulations

Most don't have an electrical safety problem and don't need total electrical isolation, so lets call it a Red Button

What is the real use of an Estop for any machine, all machines have different requirements

This is not an electrical Safety issue it's just a way to stop the machine, you can have a Red Stop Button which can do the job, Most Machine manufactures use / have a Red Stop Button that stops all machine movement instantly this does not shut down the whole Electrical system this is all most Hobby users need to stop there machine

Removing complete power to the whole machine can cause serious electrical problems, you can safely remove power that is needed for a normal Stop with a Red Button without a complete disconnect and still be compliant

An Estop circuit is for total Electrical Isolation next to a Disconnect Switch which all machines should have

So we may have been calling it by the wrong name, so lets just call it a Red Button that stops machine movement when you think you are going to have a crash

Anyone can still have a Estop circuit to be compliant with Electrical Codes just incorporate a Red Stop Button as well to stop when you need to